POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Dr POV-Ray (Message 21 to 30 of 176)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Dr SQL
Date: 20 Feb 2009 09:11:12
Message: <499eba00$1@news.povray.org>
> SELECT *
> FROM EventRecord AS X, EventRecord AS Y, EventRecord AS Z
> WHERE
>   X.ExperimentID = Y.ExperimentID AND
>   Y.ExperimentID = Z.ExperimentID AND
>   X.EventID = 0 AND
>   Y.EventID = 2 AND
>   Z.EventID = 1 AND
>   X.EventDateTime < Y.EventDateTime AND
>   Y.EventDateTime < Z.EventDateTime;
>
> Or similar. (It's been a while since I did SQL...)

Oh cool that helps a lot, I'm copying and pasting that to a file somewhere
for reference, thanks.  I still need to order myself an SQL book...

I guess that's the sort of question they should ask you at an interview :-)

Post a reply to this message

>> FROM EventRecord AS X, EventRecord AS Y, EventRecord AS Z
>> WHERE
>>   X.ExperimentID = Y.ExperimentID AND
>>   Y.ExperimentID = Z.ExperimentID AND
>>   X.EventID = 0 AND
>>   Y.EventID = 2 AND
>>   Z.EventID = 1 AND
>>   X.EventDateTime < Y.EventDateTime AND
>>   Y.EventDateTime < Z.EventDateTime;
>>
>> Or similar. (It's been a while since I did SQL...)
>
> Oh cool that helps a lot, I'm copying and pasting that to a file
> somewhere for reference, thanks.

It seems so easy when you already know how, eh? ;-)

> I still need to order myself an SQL book...

You wanna know what I have on *my* bookshelf?

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Database-Systems-C-Date/dp/0201385902

As I understand it, this is considered one of the "seminal texts" on
relational databases. Take a look at those stats: it's almost a thousand
pages, and weighs over 1.6 Kg. In other words, it's a *tome*.

And I've read it, cover to cover.

Even I cannot comprehend the relational calculus though. Relational
algebra, sure. But relational calculus? Nah.

> I guess that's the sort of question they should ask you at an interview :-)

What, as opposed to "what is the unladen velocity of a swallow?"? 0;-)

Post a reply to this message