POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr POV-Ray Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr POV-Ray
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Feb 2009 09:18:28
Message: <499ebbb4$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Maybe a few decades ago, but not anymore.
>>
>> I thought it was more like a few centuries?
>
> Don't think so, ask your dad how what % of the population went to
> University when he was that age.

Mmm, OK. Well I certainly don't know, I just thought that degrees being
rare dated back to the days when reading and writing was uncommon.

BTW, apparently my dad has a qualification in technical drawing. o_O

>> Hey, if *I* can actually get one, it can't be that rare.
>
> What % of people in Milton Keynes do you think can program in a
> functional language, know half of what you know about knot theory, and
> half of what you know about fourier transforms etc?  What % would even
> be capable of understanding?  I can tell you, not many.

On the other hand, I sat in a room full of about 80 people, and almost
all of them got a Computer Science degree. Most of them *still* don't
know what a "segmentation fault" actually is, but they all got their
degrees.

Hell, most of them weren't even all that interested in computers. (Uh...
WTF?) I never did figure that one out!

Anyway, as to what percentage of the population understand the Fourier
Transform, I wouldn't like to say. I don't meet many people... I'm sure
in any kind of competetive process though, you're going to meet a hell
of a lot of them.