POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr SQL Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr SQL
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Feb 2009 09:36:46
Message: <499ebffe$1@news.povray.org>
>> What, as opposed to "what is the unladen velocity of a swallow?"? 0;-)
>
> I'd say about 30mph because when driving at that speed sometimes birds
> appear to be going about the same speed :-)

Heh. I don't think you can try that on horseback. (Although after
several months I have yet to discover what the typical speed of a horse
actually is.)

> Estimate the mass of air in this room.

3 grams?

> Would birds be hotter or colder with fur on their legs?

Presumably this varies depending on the external temperature?

> Draw x^infinity + y^infinity = 1.

            __ __               __ __
           |__|__|             |__|__|

    \    /        |     \    /                  /|
     \  /         |      \  /        --------    |
      \/       ---+---    \/                     |
      /\          |       /          --------    |
     /  \         |      /                       |
    /    \              /                      --+--

...oh, wait, maybe you meant the *graph* of this?

> Prove which is bigger, e^pi or pi^e

Hmm. Well two cubed is 8, while three squared is 9, so I'm going to go
with pi^e being larger. Presumably "proving" this would simply involve
slightly more arithmetic. :-P

> But the best one was at my university interview, the guy had given me
> some quite tricky geometry/trig problem to solve and I think I almost
> had the answer, but the equation was a huge mess and I was dreading to
> try and solve it for x (or whatever, it had squares and cubes all over
> the place).  But then at that point he says "great, you seem to have the
> answer if you just tidy it up a bit, let's move on".  Was the best I
> could have hoped for!

Heh, neat.

I remember spending about a week trying to figure out how Euler's
relation allows me to compute the complex exponent of a complex
quantity. I don't know why it took me so long; it's really quite simple
when you look at it. I think I just confused myself too much to see it...