POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dr POV-Ray : Re: Dr SQL Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dr SQL
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Feb 2009 09:16:33
Message: <499ebb41$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> SELECT *
>> FROM EventRecord AS X, EventRecord AS Y, EventRecord AS Z
>> WHERE
>>   X.ExperimentID = Y.ExperimentID AND
>>   Y.ExperimentID = Z.ExperimentID AND
>>   X.EventID = 0 AND
>>   Y.EventID = 2 AND
>>   Z.EventID = 1 AND
>>   X.EventDateTime < Y.EventDateTime AND
>>   Y.EventDateTime < Z.EventDateTime;
>>
>> Or similar. (It's been a while since I did SQL...)
>
> Oh cool that helps a lot, I'm copying and pasting that to a file
> somewhere for reference, thanks.

It seems so easy when you already know how, eh? ;-)

> I still need to order myself an SQL book...

You wanna know what I have on *my* bookshelf?

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Database-Systems-C-Date/dp/0201385902

As I understand it, this is considered one of the "seminal texts" on
relational databases. Take a look at those stats: it's almost a thousand
pages, and weighs over 1.6 Kg. In other words, it's a *tome*.

And I've read it, cover to cover.

Even I cannot comprehend the relational calculus though. Relational
algebra, sure. But relational calculus? Nah.

> I guess that's the sort of question they should ask you at an interview :-)

What, as opposed to "what is the unladen velocity of a swallow?"? 0;-)