POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? (Message 199 to 208 of 218)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
Date: 4 Feb 2009 00:08:43
Message: <498922db$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> It's almost never for me. Are you using XP or Vista?
>
> IME, XP reboots far less than previous versions (which pretty much
> rebooted for every update), and Vista reboots "almost never".  I've not
> had any software install that asked for a reboot except .NET 3.5.

Hmm. XP So, they are improving somethings, and hosing others, like the
Backup only backing up what "it" wants... lol Typical. Its pretty bad
when, under an OS that "attempts" to do everything for you, you are
probably "still" better off writing a fracking script to do it instead.
;) I mean, if I wasn't so completely lazy that I haven't bothered to
work out the logic needed to use something like WinRAR and some Lua or
Python to make my own backup system.. lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Darren New
Date: 4 Feb 2009 10:01:29
Message: <4989adc9$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> My point was that "update" in their world means, "We maybe patched some
> bugs, but this is damn unlikely, unless they where security bugs."

No it doesn't. I get all kinds of UI updates, new file systems, .NET,
browser updates, media player updates, new codecs, new functionality on
media center, new (admittedly lame) games in the games list, new examples
and tutorials and libraries for their compilers, new block lists for junk
mail, etc.  It's not limited just to upgrades.

> In other words, you may be forced to "wait" for that high price update,
> if you expect to see some things fixed at all, and that... just sucks,
> and is yet another reason to be "somewhat" less than impressed by them.

Well, no. They don't give much software away for free. I think we're all
aware of that.

> That is, if a list of "patches" that are like 99% security, and don't
> ever address "any" real problem you are having, isn't enough, by itself.

Well, I guess you bought the wrong product. That doesn't mean the product is
wrong, it means it doesn't do everything you want. But that's like
complaining your VW won't haul concrete.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 4 Feb 2009 10:03:06
Message: <4989ae2a$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Hmm. XP So, they are improving somethings, and hosing others, like the
> Backup only backing up what "it" wants...

Yep. That was kind of stupid. At least back up everything under your home
directory even if it looks like an executable, ya know?

> ;) I mean, if I wasn't so completely lazy that I haven't bothered to
> work out the logic needed to use something like WinRAR and some Lua or
> Python to make my own backup system.. lol

If you want my scripts, I'm happy to send them. You don't need any
third-party software to make em work.

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 4 Feb 2009 10:04:10
Message: <4989ae6a$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Well, I guess you bought the wrong product. That doesn't mean the
> product is wrong, it means it doesn't do everything you want. But that's
> like complaining your VW won't haul concrete.

Or Lumber, for that matter:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/lumber.asp

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Feb 2009 15:18:44
Message: <4989f824@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> My point was that "update" in their world means, "We maybe patched
>> some bugs, but this is damn unlikely, unless they where security bugs."
>
> No it doesn't. I get all kinds of UI updates, new file systems, .NET,
> browser updates, media player updates, new codecs, new functionality on
> media center, new (admittedly lame) games in the games list, new
> examples and tutorials and libraries for their compilers, new block
> lists for junk mail, etc.  It's not limited just to upgrades.

Seems you definitely have a different experience than me, so we will
leave it at that.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Feb 2009 15:24:06
Message: <4989f966$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Hmm. XP So, they are improving somethings, and hosing others, like the
>> Backup only backing up what "it" wants...
>
> Yep. That was kind of stupid. At least back up everything under your
> home directory even if it looks like an executable, ya know?
>
>> ;) I mean, if I wasn't so completely lazy that I haven't bothered to
>> work out the logic needed to use something like WinRAR and some Lua or
>> Python to make my own backup system.. lol
>
> If you want my scripts, I'm happy to send them. You don't need any
> third-party software to make em work.

Hmm. Tempting, but.. And, frankly, I like third party, especially for
scripts. The stuff supplied with Windows, like VBScript and JScript,
just aren't as flexible when trying to do some things. And, I happen to
like WinRAR archiving. ;) But, thanks anyway.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Darren New
Date: 4 Feb 2009 18:23:39
Message: <498a237b@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Seems you definitely have a different experience than me, so we will
> leave it at that.

Could be. You're also using the OS two generations back. They're not really
releasing a whole lot of new stuff for an OS where two generations later is
already a RC.   Early on in XP's timeframe (even the first year or two of
vista wound up releasing a lot of stuff).

From: Darren New
Date: 4 Feb 2009 18:25:39
Message: <498a23f3$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Hmm. Tempting, but.. And, frankly, I like third party, especially for
> scripts.

These are just DOS BAT files.  But that's fine.  google "vshadow robocopy"
(without the quotes) to see what I based things on.

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Feb 2009 18:23:24
Message: <498b74ec@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Hmm. Tempting, but.. And, frankly, I like third party, especially for
>> scripts.
>
> These are just DOS BAT files.  But that's fine.  google "vshadow
> robocopy" (without the quotes) to see what I based things on.

Hmm. Interesting.. See, my idea was to use a real scripting language to
get a list of directories, then rar each of those, and hidden, etc.
files into a file on the other drive, with a name like
"c_my_documents_level1", then, what you do is ask rar to generate a file
list, with sizes, etc., check your current files against the archive
lists, and generate a c_my_documents_level2", which only contains
"changed" or "new" files, once you have like 3 levels, any changes get
propogate out of 2 into 1, 3 into 2, and 3 becomes only "new" changes.
So, you are only doing a backup of new/changed, and you have some
"archived" copies, in case something mangles the "existing" copy, but
you catch it before the backup has propagated it to the top level.

Its what the existing backup I have does, I think, but since it only
backs up stuff it wants to, and doesn't use any compression, its a) a
storage hog, and b) not terribly useful.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Darren New
Date: 5 Feb 2009 19:54:33
Message: <498b8a49$1@news.povray.org>
> Its what the existing backup I have does, I think, but since it only
> backs up stuff it wants to, and doesn't use any compression, its a) a
> storage hog, and b) not terribly useful.

Ah. The Microsoft one does that sort of thing, except it uses zip files, and
it saves in the shadow volume history stuff information about where it is in
the zip files. So if you want to restore a messed up file, you right-click,
open up "previous versions", and it lists all the online and offline backups
of the files.

It would be *great* if you could get it to back up everything.

Mine just makes a second copy onto a compressed directory, so altho the
compression isn't as good as you could get with bzip or something, it's not
too bad. You could also use robocopy to compare versions and make yourself
some hard links, or use VSS then image the differences onto another drive,
or stuff like that. All kinds of funkiness.

A couple more links for things we've been talking about:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10157210-56.html?tag=nl.e703
http://www.eventid.net/
In case you actually care about it.

Me, drive space is so cheap these days I don't mind keeping both images and
incrementals-of-local-dirs on disks.