POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Feb 2009 18:23:24
Message: <498b74ec@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Hmm. Tempting, but.. And, frankly, I like third party, especially for
>> scripts.
>
> These are just DOS BAT files.  But that's fine.  google "vshadow
> robocopy" (without the quotes) to see what I based things on.

Hmm. Interesting.. See, my idea was to use a real scripting language to
get a list of directories, then rar each of those, and hidden, etc.
files into a file on the other drive, with a name like
"c_my_documents_level1", then, what you do is ask rar to generate a file
list, with sizes, etc., check your current files against the archive
lists, and generate a c_my_documents_level2", which only contains
"changed" or "new" files, once you have like 3 levels, any changes get
propogate out of 2 into 1, 3 into 2, and 3 becomes only "new" changes.
So, you are only doing a backup of new/changed, and you have some
"archived" copies, in case something mangles the "existing" copy, but
you catch it before the backup has propagated it to the top level.

Its what the existing backup I have does, I think, but since it only
backs up stuff it wants to, and doesn't use any compression, its a) a
storage hog, and b) not terribly useful.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {