POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? : Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ok, who didn't know, or at least guess this?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Feb 2009 19:54:33
Message: <498b8a49$1@news.povray.org>
> Its what the existing backup I have does, I think, but since it only
> backs up stuff it wants to, and doesn't use any compression, its a) a
> storage hog, and b) not terribly useful.

Ah. The Microsoft one does that sort of thing, except it uses zip files, and
it saves in the shadow volume history stuff information about where it is in
the zip files. So if you want to restore a messed up file, you right-click,
open up "previous versions", and it lists all the online and offline backups
of the files.

It would be *great* if you could get it to back up everything.

Mine just makes a second copy onto a compressed directory, so altho the
compression isn't as good as you could get with bzip or something, it's not
too bad. You could also use robocopy to compare versions and make yourself
some hard links, or use VSS then image the differences onto another drive,
or stuff like that. All kinds of funkiness.

A couple more links for things we've been talking about:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10157210-56.html?tag=nl.e703
http://www.eventid.net/
In case you actually care about it.

Me, drive space is so cheap these days I don't mind keeping both images and
incrementals-of-local-dirs on disks.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"