POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Outgunned (Message 41 to 50 of 111)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Outgunned
Date: 22 Jan 2009 14:47:04
Message: <4978cd38$1@news.povray.org>
>>>     Why are you always SO negative?
>> Well, let's put it this way. I've been using POV-Ray for, what, nearly
>> 10 years now? And I have yet to draw anything that can compare with the
>> designs on that website.
>
>      But what was it that you were actually trying to achieve?

A website that doesn't look like something from 1996?

>      My point is, do you try anything else? At all? And persevere with it?

What else is there to try?

>    But how many times do you open your 2D app in a year? How will you learn
> anything if you don't practice?

Practice what? The problem here is that I lack talent.

Other people can pick up a pencil, draw a few brisk strokes on a pad of
paper, and produce something the like of which I couldn't copy if I had
several hours to work on it.

Using a computer doesn't really improve matters either. I played with a
copy of 3D Studio Max - allegedly "the most powerful 3D program ever".
All I could get it to do was render spheres and cylinders. I've got a
copy of Photoshop, but I can't make it do anything interesting. Ditto
for the GIMP. (But then, it's tricky just figuring out how to operate
that...)

I've spent years fiddling with POV-Ray, and to this day I have yet to
produce anything high-quality. Everything I make is dull and boring,
with bad lighting and laughable texturing.

>    It's almost like you 'expect' an app. to do something magical for you so
> you don't have to do the hard work.

It's more like... I don't have any talent. No tool is going to fix that.
The problem is that I suck.

>>>      When I started learning Sandbox 1 and 2 for Farcry and Crysis, I
>>> thought I wouldn't be able to do it, but I persevered and produced a map
>>> that's now had 1,711 downloads.
>> Jesus, that's amazing! o_O
>
>      That's a small amount compared to some of the other guys maps, but I'm
> happy with that. :) It's part 1 of 3, but when I actually get to do parts 2
> and 3 is another matter...

I have never made anything in my entire life that has been downloaded
more than about 12 times.

In fact, I just had a look at the bill for my webspace. Apparently I get

I think 1,711 probably exceeds the total number of *visits* to my
website! I know for a fact it exceeds the visits to my Zazzle gallery...

>> I had a go at building levels for Quake II once. It wasn't very
>> successful.
>>
>> Still, a while back I had a go at producing levels for HL2. Those didn't
>> even *run* correctly...
>
>     Well, I can't comment on those games and engines as I've never
> played/used them, but you have Farcry, so just load up Sandbox 1 (it's on
> the disc) and you'll see what I mean when I said I didn't think I could do
> it.

Yeah, but is it as impossible to operate as every other 3D editor out there?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/