POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Outgunned : Re: Beaten Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beaten
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Jan 2009 16:48:39
Message: <4978e9b7@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Check out "retro theatre". Wow, WTF? How...??! o_O
>
> That's good. I like http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=099/099.css also.
>
>> If only I could take away something useful from all this...

Oh wow. That's pretty special. I mean, it looks butt-ugly, but special
all the same.

> The take-away is that if you ever work on web sites, you personally will
> never have to learn how to lay out and style all the stuff you display.
> Give it to the graphic artist instead. :-)

I still don't have any clue how you pick colours that will look nice
together. Even something as basic as that. And designing a good layout
too - styling the edges and curves, etc. Also many of the designs
feature beautiful flowers or dramatic cloudscapes - where the hell do
you *get* that stuff from?!

Obviously I'm never going to beat somebody with a qualification in
graphic design. But many of the designs I've seen today leave me starkly
wondering how this is even technically *possible*...

OTOH, I did have a go, and I managed to jiggle some boxes around on my
screen. I took some markup and completely rearraned the visual layout of
it. Unfortunately it looked like a ZX Spectrum on a bad day, but it
demonstrates how this stuff works.

So I see how the technology works now - I just have no idea how to apply
it to any kind of good effect. :-(

I guess my website is going to stay looking like crap after all...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/