POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Amazon jungle Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  The Amazon jungle (Message 11 to 20 of 25)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: The Amazon jungle
Date: 12 Jan 2009 16:43:58
Message: <496bb99e$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Amazon appears to be talking about SOAP.
>
> SOAP, conceptually, is pretty simple. You take the arguments to the
> procedure and wrap them up in XML. You put the function you're calling
> into the headers. You post the message (with appropriate crypto
> signatures if necessary) to the appropriate URL. You get back from the
> web server your answer, probably again wrapped up in XML.

So... you issue a command, and you receive a reply? And these are both
formatted as XML?

Is the reply necessarily immediate?

If I'm understanding this correctly, that means that you can make Amazon
start or stop a virtual server by sending a lump of XML to it over HTTP.
Is that about right?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> So... you issue a command, and you receive a reply? And these are both
> formatted as XML?

Yes. Think of it like a procedure call between machines.

> Is the reply necessarily immediate?

In theory, no. In practice, yes.

> If I'm understanding this correctly, that means that you can make Amazon
> start or stop a virtual server by sending a lump of XML to it over HTTP.
> Is that about right?

Exactly.  I have a library to do just that, only it uses the REST interface
(which isn't really REST) to do so.

Also, http://console.aws.amazon.com/ lets you do it all from a web browser,
or so they just announced. I haven't tried it.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?

Post a reply to this message