POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Amazon jungle : Re: The Amazon jungle Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Amazon jungle
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jan 2009 17:28:41
Message: <496bc419$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Yes. Think of it like a procedure call between machines.
>
> So it's a way of issuing server commands without needing a human to
> press the button?

Think of it like a procedure call between machines. :-)  I don't know what
"button" you're talking about. "Buttons" are UI features. SOAP is a
programming library mechanism. SOAP is a mechanism where you can write
something like
    X = floob("Hello", 23)
and get back some data structure in X that was generated when "floob" and
"Hello" and "23" were passed to some server somewhere. It doesn't matter
whether that function call is invoked by pushing a button, a timer, a CLI, etc.

> Rather like the way HTTP responses are supposed to be "immediate"?
> (I.e., the browser hangs if it isn't.)

Yes.

>> Exactly.  I have a library to do just that, only it uses the REST
>> interface (which isn't really REST) to do so.
>
> What's REST then?

Representational State Transfer.   A set of rules that almost nobody who
claims to use REST actually follows.  But most everyone who calls their
interfaces "REST" but which aren't means "just like SOAP, only without the
ability to automate stub creation."  That is, you send us an XML request,
and we return an XML answer, but you have to write all the code to parse out
the results from the answer as a special case for each such service.

>> Also, http://console.aws.amazon.com/ lets you do it all from a web
>> browser, or so they just announced. I haven't tried it.
>
> Yes, I noticed that. Currently only EC2 though. (?)

As I said, I haven't looked.  The "s3fox" extension gives you access to
Amazon S3 with a decent UI from firefox.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?