POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Amazon jungle : Re: The Amazon jungle [chopped] Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Amazon jungle [chopped]
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jan 2009 12:52:01
Message: <496e2641$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Well now... It seems that even if you store some absurd amount of data

> like 1GB (think how many years that would take to upload...) it costs
> less than 50p/month. Which is nothing. (I currently pay £5/month.)

Yep. I think my last bill was seventeen cents.

> On the other hand, 30 days of instance time on EC2 is almost 80$.
> Exchange rates vary, but this compares wildly unfavourably with my
> current hosts' demands of £15/month.

Is that for a machine where you can install your own OS and such? Or is t
hat
for just a web host, where you're (for example) sharing an Apache server

with others?

> The verdict: S3 is very, very cheap. EC2 is absurdly expensive. (If
> you're a company, the reliability guarantees and lack of initial outlay

> could make sense. But for an individual, it's a no-brainer: don't do it
!)

It's also designed for you to rent it briefly, not for a long time. I.e.,
 if
your needs aren't "elastic", it might not make sense. If you need six
machines today, three tomorrow, and one next week, it makes more sense. I
you want to rent a machine for three hours to do a render, it makes a lot
 of
sense.

> For about £200 you could *buy* a half-decent PC. If you leave it r
unning
> for 1 year, it will have cost you [slightly more than] £200.

Well, you would need the connectivity too, which I understand is pretty
expensive where you are. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?