POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Just a passing thought on religion (Message 87 to 96 of 176)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Just a passing thought on religion
Date: 14 Jan 2009 16:15:32
Message: <496e55f4$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
> Patrick, I apologize if I offended you. Let me tell you that you can't
> find God, God finds you IF you actually are looking to meet Him/Her/It.
> You write like you actually don't care about spirituality but you care
> enough to write a justification about its inexistence, so maybe you feel
> the spiritual vibe but not in a classical way but your own...

Oddly, I don't believe we where talking "at all" about spirituality.
That is I think the crux of the problem. You think the concept is
derived from the "existence" of a God, never mind that you also will
probably agree that Buddhists are spiritual, while failing to grasp that
it wasn't until years after his death that a sub-cult developed that
tried to make him into a god, while his original teachings deny the
existence of gods as much as any atheist. I think you are making a
category error. Its much like Plato said in his famous play about
Socrates, in which a man approaches Socrates to talk about the "moral"
basis for turning his father in for the murder of another, and Socrates
sends him twisting around himself, unable to logically prove that you
need a god to determine what is right and wrong, or even that what a god
thought as right was, or thought was wrong was, or that such a god
deciding to change his mind would "somehow" make right wrong, and wrong
right. Mind, Plato's answer was that right and wrong in "ingrained" in
the universe itself somehow, and so that, even if the gods didn't agree
on right and wrong, some things would "always" be right, and others
"always" wrong. Unfortunately, history tend to show otherwise, in that
civilizations happily label what ever is convenient for them as "right",
and inconvenient for them "wrong", with little regard for the effect
doing so really has on anyone, including themselves, in the long run.
The only things that have appeared to be universal have been things
found in animals as well, and even then, the best that can be said about
humanity is that we have "lost" some things, in gaining better ability
to apply those. But, it comes with a trade off. It might be a "lot"
better for use if we could "smell" how healthy a potential mate was,
but, its seems, we traded the organ that detected pheromones distinctly
for "better color vision". And that trade off leads to a whole mess of
idiocies, social hangups, genetic diversity/disease issues, and other
problems that are far less common in other animals. Oops!

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {