POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 10:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jan 2009 16:55:28
Message: <496e5f50$1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:
> To get a pragmatic POV about religion from a true Priest

Problem one: phrasing this in a way that implies that disagreement with the
words of this priest means you aren't religious. How about a little
humility, like "to get a pragmatic idea of what *I* believe in
religion-wise, ...."

Problem two: A pragmatic point of view of a fictional character is far from
pragmatic in view of Proposition 8, the Gaza strip, Muslim suicide bombers,
abortion center doctor murderers, and Danish cartoonists, just to name a
few. Sure, it might be the case that this fictional depiction of the wonders
of religion is inspirational, but somehow I feel that for some reason most
of the adherents of these monotheistic faiths have somehow lost that whole
brotherly-love kind of thing going on.

> the main Character (Legolas in Lord of The Rings, can't remember his name).

For the first couple of readings, I thought "he gets his spiritual advice
from Lord of the Rings"??  Before I realized you meant the actor. :-)

> Those words and "never take compassion away from your heart" have set my
>  spiritual path for life.

Because, you know, the God that recommends murdering loving gay people and
punishes people and animals forever for things *our* secular justice system
says they're incompetent to be punished for is so compassionate.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?