POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion : Re: Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
10 Oct 2024 10:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just a passing thought on religion
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 14 Jan 2009 16:23:04
Message: <496e57b8$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>> One more thing there are things that only God can provide and yes
>> somehow it shapes your perception of "spirituality, sense of
>> beauty, or their knowledge of good and evil"... Makes them better... :-)
>
> Hmmm... Hard to understand what you mean without the punctuation, but
> I'm inclined to disagree.

Think it is, again, a category error. I value "my" TV more than TVs in
general. In a sense, having a "personal" connection to the universe,
instead of just being something "in it", would make the experience "more
valuable" in the same way. Logic tends to dash this perception to
pieces, in that, if you are being honest, any TV that is identical to
your own would be just the same, presuming someone snuck into your
house, removed your old one, then replaced it with an identical one. You
likely wouldn't even notice the difference, unless the volume was higher
or lower than you remembered. Yet, there is still an entirely
"artificial" value to the idea that you "own", or are "connected to"
something else. This is what religion "gives" people. And its the
hardest thing to give up, because they can't imagine making a similar
connection with something else, which has the same "value" as they have
placed on this equally artificial connection they feel they have already.

So, yes, there is a "value" that come with it, which you don't have
without it. But, I am betting that, if you could do the same thing with
it, as you could with the TV (while sadly impractical), they wouldn't
know the difference either.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {