POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : infested computers - how does it happen? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  infested computers - how does it happen? (Message 11 to 20 of 61)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Re: infested computers - how does it happen?
Date: 5 Dec 2008 07:26:23
Message: <49391def@news.povray.org>
news:49391861$1@news.povray.org...
> Heh. I needed a laugh... :-D

Well then try this on for size. I get a call from my sister-in-law ....
don't know why but my computer is running real slow! OK .... going into town
anyway so I stopped by. 78 Mahjong games running. I asked .... How did you
manage that!!! Turns out she thought she WAS quitting the game when she was
done. She was clicking on the (-) instead of the (x). Doesn't the (-) mean
take away she asked. Lord help my aching head! Now my wife wants to get her
a digital camera for Christmas.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>   I'm pretty sure that to this day he is still convinced that "linux" is
> something which breaks your IE.

...still, in a way, I guess it does. You can't run IE under Linux,
right? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> Well then try this on for size. I get a call from my sister-in-law ....
> don't know why but my computer is running real slow! OK .... going into town
> anyway so I stopped by. 78 Mahjong games running. I asked .... How did you
> manage that!!! Turns out she thought she WAS quitting the game when she was
> done. She was clicking on the (-) instead of the (x). Doesn't the (-) mean
> take away she asked. Lord help my aching head! Now my wife wants to get her
> a digital camera for Christmas.

1. Why would having unused programs running make the computer slow?
Surely mahjong doesn't consume any CPU time if it isn't "doing" anything...?

2. Didn't notice the taskbar then? Heh. I've noticed more non-experts
seem to think that the myriad of status indicators on the screen are
"just decoration". They don't comprehend that these things *tell* you stuff.

3. Digital camera? Oh, enjoy supporting it... ;-)

Post a reply to this message

"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>  Given that linux is not something you simply "download and run" in
> Windows,

With the new Ubuntu, it kind of is.  >:3

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

> 1. Why would having unused programs running make the computer slow? Surely
> mahjong doesn't consume any CPU time if it isn't "doing" anything...?

consumes memory even if it's idle .... right?

> 2. Didn't notice the taskbar then? Heh. I've noticed more non-experts seem
> to think that the myriad of status indicators on the screen are "just
> decoration". They don't comprehend that these things *tell* you stuff.

Nope she didn't. I tried to give her the quick tour and gave up when I
noticed she had that glazed over look in her eye's as I was trying to
explain "auto hide"

> 3. Digital camera? Oh, enjoy supporting it... ;-)

haha .... i'm hoping my wife settles on the Fisher Price camera. It has the
fewest buttons and settings!

Post a reply to this message

>> 1. Why would having unused programs running make the computer slow? Surely
>> mahjong doesn't consume any CPU time if it isn't "doing" anything...?
>
> consumes memory even if it's idle .... right?

Right. And the virtual memory system will swap that out to disk since it
isn't being used. And, unless the program tries to "do" something, it
will never be swapped back in again. Should have no impact on anything.

>> 2. Didn't notice the taskbar then? Heh. I've noticed more non-experts seem
>> to think that the myriad of status indicators on the screen are "just
>> decoration". They don't comprehend that these things *tell* you stuff.
>
> Nope she didn't. I tried to give her the quick tour and gave up when I
> noticed she had that glazed over look in her eye's as I was trying to
> explain "auto hide"

...you have AUTO HIDE on???!? o_O

No wonder she's confused...

>> 3. Digital camera? Oh, enjoy supporting it... ;-)
>
> haha .... i'm hoping my wife settles on the Fisher Price camera. It has the
> fewest buttons and settings!

Fewest buttons doesn't necessarily mean it's simple. ;-)

Fewest settings, though... that shouldn't be too bad.

Post a reply to this message