POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : infested computers - how does it happen? : Re: infested computers - how does it happen? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: infested computers - how does it happen?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 5 Dec 2008 09:47:37
Message: <49393f09$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:

> My question is how does does this happen? And why does it happen to some
> people more than others? How can a person be downloading and installing
> software without even knowing it? All I can guess is that it must be
> like what I experienced a few weeks back, when I accidentally clicked
> "yes" to a pop-up dialog. (my one and only incident in over ten years of
> computing [yes, I'm proud])

This happened to me once. I downloaded an application that allowed my
Razor phone to connect to the computer and manage files on the phone
(seeing as I couldn't get pictures without paying for a special service)
It was a bit fidgety, so I clicked the link in the program to check for
updates. It was hardcoded to I.E., and the download site it was pointing
to was hosting malicious "ad banners" Suddenly an installer popped up
for an imitation anti-spyware program (Windows anti-spyware, it was
similarly named to what Windows Defender used to be). I clicked cancel,
and it proceeded to install itself, even though I clicked cancel.

The rest, as they say, was history. I managed to carefully pick apart
the dozens of adware, spyware, junkware, and shovelware that installer
forced onto my system and delete and/or uninstall it. Windows defender
helped some. I thought I had cleaned it all up, but there were still
remnants in my registry and filesystem, which were discovered by
Defender when it got the latest updates. Norton Antivirus sat happily
aside and watched the whole thing without uttering even a peep.

--
~Mike