POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : infested computers - how does it happen? : Re: infested computers - how does it happen? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: infested computers - how does it happen?
From: Invisible
Date: 5 Dec 2008 08:12:18
Message: <493928b2$1@news.povray.org>
>> 1. Why would having unused programs running make the computer slow? Surely
>> mahjong doesn't consume any CPU time if it isn't "doing" anything...?
>
> consumes memory even if it's idle .... right?

Right. And the virtual memory system will swap that out to disk since it
isn't being used. And, unless the program tries to "do" something, it
will never be swapped back in again. Should have no impact on anything.

>> 2. Didn't notice the taskbar then? Heh. I've noticed more non-experts seem
>> to think that the myriad of status indicators on the screen are "just
>> decoration". They don't comprehend that these things *tell* you stuff.
>
> Nope she didn't. I tried to give her the quick tour and gave up when I
> noticed she had that glazed over look in her eye's as I was trying to
> explain "auto hide"

...you have AUTO HIDE on???!? o_O

No wonder she's confused...

>> 3. Digital camera? Oh, enjoy supporting it... ;-)
>
> haha .... i'm hoping my wife settles on the Fisher Price camera. It has the
> fewest buttons and settings!

Fewest buttons doesn't necessarily mean it's simple. ;-)

Fewest settings, though... that shouldn't be too bad.