POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Back to the future (Message 15 to 24 of 234)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Back to the future
Date: 22 Jul 2008 09:33:09
Message: <4885e195$1@news.povray.org>
> The resolution doesn't really compare, but the Amiga was targetted at
> normal TVs. The Amiga's 640x480 is quite near to modern DVD's 720x564.

The video chip on the Acorn was actually pretty cool, it was completely
programmable so you could pretty much drive anything you wanted from a TV to
a high resolution monitor.  Even when I got my first LCD monitor I plugged
it in and it worked!  If you found some weird monitor that didn't quite
work, chances were that someone could help you out and write the config file
for you.

> Thing is, up until this point, computer graphics had always been blocky
> things made out of a dozen flat colours. Computer graphics *looked* like
> computer graphics. Computer sound *sounded* like computer sound.

Well, to be honest, I don't see the *huge* leap between my BBC B from 10
years earlier that could do 640x256 and 16 colours to 640x480 and 32
colours.  I would have expected a lot more.

Post a reply to this message

>> The resolution doesn't really compare, but the Amiga was targetted at
>> normal TVs. The Amiga's 640x480 is quite near to modern DVD's 720x564.
>
> The video chip on the Acorn was actually pretty cool, it was completely
> programmable so you could pretty much drive anything you wanted from a
> TV to a high resolution monitor.

Yeah. The Amiga defaults to TV scanrates, but you can program it to run
at whatever you want. (Within reason.) The tricky part is figuring out
what you need to program it to do. (And getting it to do it when you
can't see a display!)

The *other* tricky part is that ALL games will run at TV scanrates, and
there's nothing you can do about it...

> Well, to be honest, I don't see the *huge* leap between my BBC B from 10
> years earlier that could do 640x256 and 16 colours to 640x480 and 32
> colours.  I would have expected a lot more.

16 colours out of 16, verses 32 out of 4,096? Seems like a fairly big
difference to me. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/