POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu] Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jul 2008 10:15:11
Message: <4885eb6f$1@news.povray.org>
>> On the other hand, Virtual Dub has no manual yet I find it quite easy to
>> work, and yet I couldn't get WMM to do anything except glue video clips
>> together. (Maybe that's all it does? Oh, and the transitions that you
>> can't control or adjust in any way.) Maybe I'm just trying to make WMM do
>> things it's not designed for?
>
> On the version I got with Vista controlling the transitions is just done by
> pulling them with the mouse and zooming in the timeline for more precise
> control. I'll grant that it's never very precise, but then it's a
> no-brainer, made for people who don't read manuals and don't like to type
> numbers in little boxes with funny names.
>
> Perhaps you just don't get purely visual interfaces? GUIs tend to have their
> own paradigms and figuring them out can take time. Sometimes we put the
> blame on the interface (and rightly so, but I won't tell names...) but it
> may be that people differ in the way they can grasp certain visual paradigms
> and not others (no excuse for Word styles though).

IIRC I spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out how to make the
sequence fade to black. I got it to fade, but it was a 2 second fade and
I wanted 10 seconds. I couldn't find any way of altering this.

I also utterly failed to figure out how to insert a pause.

In the end I just got so thoroughly frustrated with the thing that I
gave up. To my horror, next time I opened it, it had somehow magically
"remembered" where all my video files are, and nothing I could do to it
would make it "forget" that information. At that point I decided to give
up for good.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/