POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Need for speed (Message 109 to 118 of 168)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Ah, history
Date: 17 Jul 2008 03:45:11
Message: <487ef887$1@news.povray.org>
> Yes - you can insert pictures and there are different text alignments and
> you can fiddle with the margins and insert headers and footers and a few
> other bits that nobody uses. But basically, it's WordPad with bells on.

You really have no idea how Word is used in the real world, do you?

A few things you didn't mention which are used *extensively* by most
companies I've dealt with:

- Document templates
- Reviewing/markup
- Styles
- Spell check
- Page breaks
- Tables
- Picture editing (brightness/contrast)
- Table-of-contents
- Cross-referencing
- Forms and document protection
- Drawings/diagrams

And things which are used less often, but certainly not only by uber geeks:

- General VB scripting
- Mail merge
- Columns
- Address label creation
- Thesaurus
- Automatic emailing of form data
- Simple formulae in form boxes

What I hate most is people who don't know how to use Word, and treat it like
WordPad.  There is so much power there I don't understand why people don't
take just a small amount of training for something they probably use almost
every day.

Post a reply to this message