POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Ah, history Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ah, history
From: scott
Date: 17 Jul 2008 10:47:33
Message: <487f5b85@news.povray.org>
> I'm still waiting to see hard evidence that "millions of people actually
> do use templates without Word crashing".

Well most of the people in my company worldwide use our standard corporate
templates, as did everyone at the previous company I worked for.  Plus
everything I've seen coming out of companies like Nokia, Sony Ericson, BMW,
Ford, Daimler is in standard format - I *highly* doubt they have not used
templates to create these documents.  That's probably well over a million
people using templates in just the area of industry I work in.  Do you
really think all these people would use templates if they were always prone
to crashing?

> Spending many, many hours correcting formatting glitches *is* practically
> their entire job description.

So surely they should have been on numerous training courses to get the
absolute maximum out of Word as efficiently as possible?  But they don't
know how to use styles?  I still can't believe that.

> But I've never seen them attempt to use styles...]

Why don't you teach them?  It will save them hours of work - per day!
Really, are they manually setting the font size, alignment, style etc for
EVERY single heading/subheading/caption in every document?  What a complete
and utter waste of time.

> Seems to me they're all just resigned to the fact that Word is horribly
> awkward to use? *shrugs*

But it just smacks of complete incompetence when a) they should have been
trained for this if it's their main job, and b) they don't ask anyone if
there's a more efficient way to do it.  Especially when there usually *is* a
more efficient way than just typing as if it is wordpad.