POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Ah, history Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:28:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ah, history
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Jul 2008 04:17:27
Message: <487f0017$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> You really have no idea how Word is used in the real world, do you?

You're right. My place of work isn't the real world at all.

> A few things you didn't mention which are used *extensively* by most
> companies I've dealt with:
>
> - Document templates
> - Reviewing/markup
> - Styles
> - Spell check
> - Page breaks
> - Tables
> - Picture editing (brightness/contrast)
> - Table-of-contents
> - Cross-referencing
> - Forms and document protection
> - Drawings/diagrams

And how many of these features aren't in Word 2.0?

(I don't recall it having templates or styles, and it likely didn't have
picture editing, but I'm pretty sure everything else on that list was
there.)

As an aside, at work we try to avoid document templates to the maximum
extent possible because they cause Word to crash. I'm also 98% sure none
of the Word power users know about styles.

> - General VB scripting
> - Mail merge
> - Columns
> - Address label creation
> - Thesaurus
> - Automatic emailing of form data
> - Simple formulae in form boxes

Now at least we come to some things Word 2.0 didn't have - specifically
I don't recall it having VB. Or address label creation. Or forms. I'd be
really surprised if anybody out there actually uses VB though.

> What I hate most is people who don't know how to use Word, and treat it
> like WordPad.  There is so much power there I don't understand why
> people don't take just a small amount of training for something they
> probably use almost every day.

Because M$ tells us that "Word is easy". Why would you need training for
something that is "easy"?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/