POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My first nomogram Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  My first nomogram (Message 19 to 28 of 48)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: My first nomogram
Date: 29 Jun 2008 08:37:21
Message: <se0f64t6it13j944opk2dqrdjfrktqon8r@4ax.com>
On 29 Jun 2008 06:51:49 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:
>> If Andrew's posts annoy you just
>> blacklist him then you won't be irritated by his musings.
>
>  Why are there only extremes? Everywhere there are and can only be
>extremes. Someone must either like 100% of everything someone else does,
>or he has to hate 100% of it. There are no other possibilities.

What are you talking about, what extremes? Putting someone on a
blacklist in a newsgroup only means, you won't see his posts not that
he won't be able to post.
Unless you are talking about your own feelings.

>  (And, of course, the first law of the internet: Everything must be
>interpreted in the wost possible way. Always.)

That is less true here than on other sites IMO. The vast majority of
posters here are good natured and fair, again IMO.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 29 Jun 2008 09:01:10
Message: <48678795@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 29 Jun 2008 06:51:49 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> >Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:
> >> If Andrew's posts annoy you just
> >> blacklist him then you won't be irritated by his musings.
> >
> >  Why are there only extremes? Everywhere there are and can only be
> >extremes. Someone must either like 100% of everything someone else does,
> >or he has to hate 100% of it. There are no other possibilities.
> >
> What are you talking about, what extremes? Putting someone on a
> blacklist in a newsgroup only means, you won't see his posts not that
> he won't be able to post.

  I wasn't implying anything else. Read again.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 29 Jun 2008 09:51:59
Message: <kq4f64hv0ae6m3ghrm28pm6qhue1aiag7n@4ax.com>
On 29 Jun 2008 09:01:10 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:

>> >  Why are there only extremes? Everywhere there are and can only be
>> >extremes. Someone must either like 100% of everything someone else does,
>> >or he has to hate 100% of it. There are no other possibilities.
>> >
>> What are you talking about, what extremes? Putting someone on a
>> blacklist in a newsgroup only means, you won't see his posts not that
>> he won't be able to post.
>
>  I wasn't implying anything else. Read again.

You weren't implying anything else than what?
What is extreme about setting up your newsreader so that you don't see
a person's posts, if that is what you meant? Although I'll tell you
what I think is extreme and that is, beating someone around the head,
metaphorically speaking, until he stops posting content you personally
don't like. If you don't like it then don't read it.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 29 Jun 2008 10:51:01
Message: <4867a155@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 29 Jun 2008 09:01:10 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> >Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:

> >> What are you talking about, what extremes? Putting someone on a
> >> blacklist in a newsgroup only means, you won't see his posts not that
> >> he won't be able to post.
> >
> >  I wasn't implying anything else. Read again.

> You weren't implying anything else than what?

  I wasn't implying that blacklisting someone would affect anyone else
than what I see.

  What I was implying is that blacklisting someone means that I detest
everything he writes and don't want to see anything of it. Obviously
this is not the case. Far from it. Blacklisting someone is a rather
radical measure.

> What is extreme about setting up your newsreader so that you don't see
> a person's posts, if that is what you meant?

  It might not be extreme to you, but I find it a rather extreme.
His posts are, in general, enjoyable and I have no reason to censor
them from myself. Such censorship would make absolutely no sense.
It would, indeed, be rather extreme and irrational.

> Although I'll tell you
> what I think is extreme and that is, beating someone around the head,
> metaphorically speaking, until he stops posting content you personally
> don't like. If you don't like it then don't read it.

  Again, you are implying some kind of extreme. Exactly where did I say,
imply or hint in any way that I didn't *like* the post which started this
thread? The only thing did was to say I didn't understand it, nor the
motivations behind making the post. Sure, many could (and will) interpret
that as an impolite harsh criticism (and "bullying"), but people will
always interpret everything in the worst possible way.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 29 Jun 2008 11:31:01
Message: <po9f64lijgdn76co3gli9i136i439j6mm8@4ax.com>
On 29 Jun 2008 10:51:01 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  I wasn't implying that blacklisting someone would affect anyone else
>than what I see.
>
>  What I was implying is that blacklisting someone means that I detest
>everything he writes and don't want to see anything of it. Obviously
>this is not the case. Far from it. Blacklisting someone is a rather
>radical measure.

Well I've never done it myself tho' I've been close to it on occasion.
>> What is extreme about setting up your newsreader so that you don't
see
>> a person's posts, if that is what you meant?
>
>  It might not be extreme to you, but I find it a rather extreme.
>His posts are, in general, enjoyable and I have no reason to censor
>them from myself. Such censorship would make absolutely no sense.
>It would, indeed, be rather extreme and irrational.

It is not the impression I got but since you say so I believe you.

>> Although I'll tell you
>> what I think is extreme and that is, beating someone around the head,
>> metaphorically speaking, until he stops posting content you personally
>> don't like. If you don't like it then don't read it.
>
>  Again, you are implying some kind of extreme. Exactly where did I say,
>imply or hint in any way that I didn't *like* the post which started this
>thread? The only thing did was to say I didn't understand it, nor the
>motivations behind making the post. Sure, many could (and will) interpret
>that as an impolite harsh criticism (and "bullying"), but people will
>always interpret everything in the worst possible way.

My opinion is that his motivation is his own business and I will sift
the dross (sorry Andrew) to find the gems. I just ignore all the
Haskell stuff the same way I, most of the time ignore you and Darren,
when you go on about C and C++ etc. It is of little interest to me as
I can't program for toffee :) But it is of interest to a lot of
people.
It does come across to me that you are down on him more than is good
for both of you. And you are wrong if you think people will always
interpret everything in the worst possible way. At least on this
newsgroup at this period of time.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 29 Jun 2008 15:34:38
Message: <4867e3ce$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>>Why do people post their POV-Ray renderings?
>

>   Maybe because this is a POV-Ray news server, and people who visit this
> server usually are interested in POV-Ray renderings?
>

>>Because they might amuse somebody...
>

>   I just can't understand what's so amusing about a PDF file which contains
> some simple numbers and lines.
>
>   Imagine I made a post like this here:
>
> ---------------------
>   Hey, I just wrote a C program which prints numbers from 1 to 100, with
> 10 numbers at each line:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main(void)
> {
>     int i;
>     for(i = 1; i <= 100; ++i)
>     {
>         printf("%i ", i);
>         if(i % 10 == 0) printf("\n");
>     }
>     return 0;
> }
> ---------------------
>
>   Ok, so? Why would that be of any interest to anybody? Why would I want
> to make such a post? I just don't get it.

It's kinda funny. Usually I open 'offtopic' and my eyes glaze over at
the usual avalanche of postings by Orchid on topics I can't relate to.
This nomogram thing is one of the few things that Orchid has posted that
I *do* find I can relate to!  Maybe because it actually results in
something visual.

Meanwhile, I enjoy reading your posts, Warp, and one of the things you
did that *most* interested me, for all time, was a comparative series of
  simple sort algorithms expressed in SDL.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 29 Jun 2008 16:42:10
Message: <4867f3a2@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> It's kinda funny. Usually I open 'offtopic' and my eyes glaze over at
> the usual avalanche of postings by Orchid on topics I can't relate to.
> This nomogram thing is one of the few things that Orchid has posted that
> I *do* find I can relate to!  Maybe because it actually results in
> something visual.

  If he had made a postscript which creates something like this, I would
have been truely impressed... :P

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Visual_Smith_Chart.png

> Meanwhile, I enjoy reading your posts, Warp, and one of the things you
> did that *most* interested me, for all time, was a comparative series of
>   simple sort algorithms expressed in SDL.

  That was a *really* long time ago. The memories...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 29 Jun 2008 17:00:21
Message: <4867f7e5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   If he had made a postscript which creates something like this, I would
> have been truely impressed... :P
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Visual_Smith_Chart.png

Well, this is how I found out what "nomogram" actually *is*. ;-)

Now, if I actually understood for a second what the hell this nomogram
is supposed to compute... maybe I could repeat it. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 29 Jun 2008 17:16:54
Message: <4867fbc6$1@news.povray.org>
Warp a écrit :
> Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
>> It's kinda funny. Usually I open 'offtopic' and my eyes glaze over at
>> the usual avalanche of postings by Orchid on topics I can't relate to.
>> This nomogram thing is one of the few things that Orchid has posted that
>> I *do* find I can relate to!  Maybe because it actually results in
>> something visual.
>
>   If he had made a postscript which creates something like this, I would
> have been truely impressed... :P
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Visual_Smith_Chart.png

The whole discussion reminds of perhaps the only remotely useful
postcript program I have written, to draw the parts of an Astrolabe. I
really ought to finish that project in fact, so far I have done it on
paper and cardboard, but I'd really like to build one in plywood...

Even had fun putting in transformations that leave a very funny looking,
but still theoretically working astrolabe, as attached :-) (this is just
  one of the most visible parts, of course).

Thing is, I'm not sure I'd understand how that program works, 3 years
later :-D

Anyway, is that kind of thing called a nomogram as well?

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'astropart.png' (62 KB)

Preview of image 'astropart.png'
astropart.png

From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jun 2008 00:02:18
Message: <48685aca$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   (And, of course, the first law of the internet: Everything must be
> interpreted in the wost possible way. Always.)

Apparently not just the internet.

"""
A wide body of psychological research shows that on any number of
hot-button issues, people seem hard-wired to believe the worst about
those who disagree with them. ... said Glenn D. Reeder, a social
psychologist at Illinois State University ... "We find it difficult to
grant that other people come to their conclusions in good faith if they
reach a conclusion that is different than ours." ...
"""

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/11/AR2007031101439.html

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)