POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Adventures with digital painting (Message 108 to 117 of 197)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Re: Adventures with digital painting
Date: 10 Mar 2008 14:22:46
Message: <47d58a86$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> You say "tomayto", I say "tomahto".

Difference is, all the little bits and pieces that make up Windoze all
come from one manufacturer, there's only one version of them, and
they're all extensively tested together.

Linux, OTOH... You don't often find two machines set up exactly the same
way. And all the individual parts are from different people, and there
are a myriad of possible versions and implementations.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:23:19 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> You say "tomayto", I say "tomahto".
>
> Difference is, all the little bits and pieces that make up Windoze all
> come from one manufacturer, there's only one version of them, and
> they're all extensively tested together.
>
> Linux, OTOH... You don't often find two machines set up exactly the same
> way. And all the individual parts are from different people, and there
> are a myriad of possible versions and implementations.

You need to look at how the software checkins and testing are handled for
the kernel.

And you need to look up again the definition of "DLL Hell".

Not so different as you might think.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Difference is, all the little bits and pieces that make up Windoze all
>> come from one manufacturer, there's only one version of them, and
>> they're all extensively tested together.
>>
>> Linux, OTOH... You don't often find two machines set up exactly the same
>> way. And all the individual parts are from different people, and there
>> are a myriad of possible versions and implementations.
>
> You need to look at how the software checkins and testing are handled for
> the kernel.

Who said anything about the kernel? I'm talking about the entire Linux
OS. (Most of which is actually GNU, if you want to be technical about it...)

> And you need to look up again the definition of "DLL Hell".
>
> Not so different as you might think.

I have yet to experience "DLL Hell". I'm told it exists, and it's not
fun, but I haven't seen it personally. (Don't ask me why...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:24:29 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Difference is, all the little bits and pieces that make up Windoze all
>>> come from one manufacturer, there's only one version of them, and
>>> they're all extensively tested together.
>>>
>>> Linux, OTOH... You don't often find two machines set up exactly the
>>> same way. And all the individual parts are from different people, and
>>> there are a myriad of possible versions and implementations.
>>
>> You need to look at how the software checkins and testing are handled
>> for the kernel.
>
> Who said anything about the kernel? I'm talking about the entire Linux
> OS. (Most of which is actually GNU, if you want to be technical about
> it...)

So yes, be technical about it, then - I don't know of any Linux distro
that uses "standard" tools that aren't GNU, be it awk, sed, perl, bash,
etc.

>> And you need to look up again the definition of "DLL Hell".
>>
>> Not so different as you might think.
>
> I have yet to experience "DLL Hell". I'm told it exists, and it's not
> fun, but I haven't seen it personally. (Don't ask me why...)

You've been lucky.  Last company I worked for had many applications with
DLLs in common but requiring different versions.  We had a team of
software deployment engineers who did testing to ensure the software
would all work together and work around the issues of needing multiple
versions of the same DLL.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Who said anything about the kernel? I'm talking about the entire Linux
>> OS. (Most of which is actually GNU, if you want to be technical about
>> it...)
>
> So yes, be technical about it, then - I don't know of any Linux distro
> that uses "standard" tools that aren't GNU, be it awk, sed, perl, bash,
> etc.

Except that Unix /= Linux. There's also BSD and Solaris and random stuff
like that... and autoconf works with all of them.

"Windoze" is more or less one product line. Binaries work unmodified on
most versions of it. (Assuming the features they use are there.) "Unix"
is not one product. It's not even close to being one product. It's a
vast stew of different products all bolted together in a giant mess.

>> I have yet to experience "DLL Hell". I'm told it exists, and it's not
>> fun, but I haven't seen it personally. (Don't ask me why...)
>
> You've been lucky.

Let's hope it stays that way...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>>> Who said anything about the kernel? I'm talking about the entire Linux
>>> OS. (Most of which is actually GNU, if you want to be technical about
>>> it...)
>>
>> So yes, be technical about it, then - I don't know of any Linux distro
>> that uses "standard" tools that aren't GNU, be it awk, sed, perl,
>> bash, etc.
>
> Except that Unix /= Linux. There's also BSD and Solaris and random stuff
> like that... and autoconf works with all of them.
>
> "Windoze" is more or less one product line. Binaries work unmodified on
> most versions of it. (Assuming the features they use are there.) "Unix"
> is not one product. It's not even close to being one product. It's a
> vast stew of different products all bolted together in a giant mess.

I'm not sure if it's possible to put a non-GNU userland (like BSD) along
with a Linux kernel, but it's definitely possible to have GNU userland
on many kernels, like BSD.

Heck, the "BSD Subsystem" package for my iPod was based in BSD (duh), I
removed it and installed Telesphoreo (much better package of unix tools)
and it's based on GNU tools. Kernel is Mach for ARM processor. I have
yet to try autoconf stuff there :) (somebody is struggling to get a
native compiler working)

Post a reply to this message