POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:48:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Mar 2008 04:24:30
Message: <47d64fce@news.povray.org>
>> Difference is, all the little bits and pieces that make up Windoze all
>> come from one manufacturer, there's only one version of them, and
>> they're all extensively tested together.
>>
>> Linux, OTOH... You don't often find two machines set up exactly the same
>> way. And all the individual parts are from different people, and there
>> are a myriad of possible versions and implementations.
>
> You need to look at how the software checkins and testing are handled for
> the kernel.

Who said anything about the kernel? I'm talking about the entire Linux
OS. (Most of which is actually GNU, if you want to be technical about it...)

> And you need to look up again the definition of "DLL Hell".
>
> Not so different as you might think.

I have yet to experience "DLL Hell". I'm told it exists, and it's not
fun, but I haven't seen it personally. (Don't ask me why...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/