POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:48:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 11 Mar 2008 10:42:34
Message: <47d6a86a$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible escribió:
>>> Who said anything about the kernel? I'm talking about the entire Linux
>>> OS. (Most of which is actually GNU, if you want to be technical about
>>> it...)
>>
>> So yes, be technical about it, then - I don't know of any Linux distro
>> that uses "standard" tools that aren't GNU, be it awk, sed, perl,
>> bash, etc.
>
> Except that Unix /= Linux. There's also BSD and Solaris and random stuff
> like that... and autoconf works with all of them.
>
> "Windoze" is more or less one product line. Binaries work unmodified on
> most versions of it. (Assuming the features they use are there.) "Unix"
> is not one product. It's not even close to being one product. It's a
> vast stew of different products all bolted together in a giant mess.

I'm not sure if it's possible to put a non-GNU userland (like BSD) along
with a Linux kernel, but it's definitely possible to have GNU userland
on many kernels, like BSD.

Heck, the "BSD Subsystem" package for my iPod was based in BSD (duh), I
removed it and installed Telesphoreo (much better package of unix tools)
and it's based on GNU tools. Kernel is Mach for ARM processor. I have
yet to try autoconf stuff there :) (somebody is struggling to get a
native compiler working)