POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:46:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Mar 2008 13:11:19
Message: <47d6cb47@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> (I work with big directories, and big files. Often I'll have a program
>> that runs 3 hours, then takes half an hour to delete its input files. Or
>> individual files that take 2 minutes of disk I/O to delete. Or empty
>> directories that take several minutes to delete because they used to
>> have six or seven million files in em.  And of course, the machine
>> becomes completely unusable during any sort of operation like that.)
>
>   Isn't that a clear sign that a re-design of your programs is in place?-)

Probably not. I don't know any other way of storing several weeks worth
of CD-quality audio in a way that is easy to extract portions, then
delete the beginning without affecting the end.

Now, if Linux supported the thing that NTFS supports where you can
delete the beginning of a file, maybe I'd use that. But as it is, I have
to chop the file up so I can delete parts of it.

Plus, of course, the device buffers on the audio device get upset if you
tell it to try to accumulate a gig of audio data before handing it over
to your software. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"