POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting : Re: Adventures with digital painting Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with digital painting
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Mar 2008 10:12:56
Message: <47d6a178$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:24:29 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Difference is, all the little bits and pieces that make up Windoze all
>>> come from one manufacturer, there's only one version of them, and
>>> they're all extensively tested together.
>>>
>>> Linux, OTOH... You don't often find two machines set up exactly the
>>> same way. And all the individual parts are from different people, and
>>> there are a myriad of possible versions and implementations.
>>
>> You need to look at how the software checkins and testing are handled
>> for the kernel.
>
> Who said anything about the kernel? I'm talking about the entire Linux
> OS. (Most of which is actually GNU, if you want to be technical about
> it...)

So yes, be technical about it, then - I don't know of any Linux distro
that uses "standard" tools that aren't GNU, be it awk, sed, perl, bash,
etc.

>> And you need to look up again the definition of "DLL Hell".
>>
>> Not so different as you might think.
>
> I have yet to experience "DLL Hell". I'm told it exists, and it's not
> fun, but I haven't seen it personally. (Don't ask me why...)

You've been lucky.  Last company I worked for had many applications with
DLLs in common but requiring different versions.  We had a team of
software deployment engineers who did testing to ensure the software
would all work together and work around the issues of needing multiple
versions of the same DLL.

Jim