POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:14:18 EDT (-0400)
  My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (Message 116 to 125 of 135)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
Date: 19 Feb 2008 04:10:27
Message: <op.t6rk1uruc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:48:12 -0000, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:42:17 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>>> The weird thing is that it's something of an anomaly for Carter's
>>> works. He managed to build a mythology that worked, even though it had
>>> some inconsistencies; it wasn't planned out at all, but it worked.  The
>>> Lone Gunmen could've been good, but he tried not planning that as well,
>>> and it just kinda flopped.
>>
>> The Lone Gunmen were never front-room people; they were always better in
>> the background.
>
> Yeah, I think that's part of the reason it failed.  Of course, his other
> program - Harsh Realm, I think it was called - total flop.

Was that one of his, I can't a preview and thought it sounded interesting
never got broadcast on terrestrial here though.

>>> Yes, that was certainly true.  But the thing that I really like about
>>> it is that it's not clear-cut on some morality issues.  The good guys
>>> don't always behave in a way that's consistent with being the good
>>> guys.  They make bad decisions sometimes.
>>
>> But then that's always been a part of BSG
>
> True enough.  But compared to the 1970's series, this one is I think a
> lot better.  I tried watching the old series, and just couldn't get into
> it (though I remember really liking it, in spite of the fact that they
> had only 3 battle "scenes").

Sorry in context that should have read as 'always been a part of the new
BSG'

> But then again, there was also Galactica 1980, here's hoping we don't see
> a remake of that again.
>
> Last night, we watched the remake of Knight Rider.  Utter crap.  There's
> 2 hours of my life I'm not getting back.

They remade Knight Rider - sacrilege ;-)

> The effects weren't bad, but
> they call *that* acting?  Shit, my cats can act better than that.  And it
> got a bit too preachy for my tastes - well, it starts off with scenes
> that looked like they could be out of Baywatch, then cut to an apparent
> lesbian scene between one of the main characters and some throwaway bimbo
> - but then we get scripture quoted at us partway through the programme.
> Oh, and marriage/divorce statistics.  Ho hum.  If I wanted a morality
> tale, I'd have gone to church instead.

But would you have got the lesbian scene at church?

>>> I like shows like that.  Spooks is another that I *really* liked.  How
>>> cool is it that they were perfectly fine killing off main characters?
>>
>> Went off it after season... 3 I think it was, just started to seem to
>> repeat itself with bigger and more ridiculous storylines; a bit like 24.
>
> Well, yeah, I did prefer the earlier seasons, but I have to admit that
> series 6 was pretty good - they were talking about doing more
> disconnected stories, but instead they went the other direction and built
> a real story arc.
>
> I have watched 24 - the thing about that one is that it's *so* farfetched
> it shorts my brain out and I can actually sit back and just watch and
> enjoy the explosions.  The tech is *so* far from the real world that it
> actually kinda works for me, because I can't sit and nitpick the stuff
> that's wrong because it's ALL wrong.

I have the opposite reaction for the same reasons you cite. Also perhaps
because it's so American; I had similar problems with The West Wing.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:09:20 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

>> Yeah, I think that's part of the reason it failed.  Of course, his
>> other program - Harsh Realm, I think it was called - total flop.
>
> Was that one of his, I can't a preview and thought it sounded
> interesting never got broadcast on terrestrial here though.

I believe it was - Yep, IMDB shows that it was created by Carter.

>> True enough.  But compared to the 1970's series, this one is I think a
>> lot better.  I tried watching the old series, and just couldn't get
>> into it (though I remember really liking it, in spite of the fact that
>> they had only 3 battle "scenes").
>
> Sorry in context that should have read as 'always been a part of the new
> BSG'

:-)

>> But then again, there was also Galactica 1980, here's hoping we don't
>> see a remake of that again.
>>
>> Last night, we watched the remake of Knight Rider.  Utter crap.
>> There's 2 hours of my life I'm not getting back.
>
> They remade Knight Rider - sacrilege ;-)

What's more "The Hoff" was part of it.  He really should have known
better. ;-)

>> The effects weren't bad, but
>> they call *that* acting?  Shit, my cats can act better than that.  And
>> it got a bit too preachy for my tastes - well, it starts off with
>> scenes that looked like they could be out of Baywatch, then cut to an
>> apparent lesbian scene between one of the main characters and some
>> throwaway bimbo - but then we get scripture quoted at us partway
>> through the programme. Oh, and marriage/divorce statistics.  Ho hum.
>> If I wanted a morality tale, I'd have gone to church instead.
>
> But would you have got the lesbian scene at church?

Not yet, but who knows, maybe that's coming in the series, if they
continue it.

>> I have watched 24 - the thing about that one is that it's *so*
>> farfetched it shorts my brain out and I can actually sit back and just
>> watch and enjoy the explosions.  The tech is *so* far from the real
>> world that it actually kinda works for me, because I can't sit and
>> nitpick the stuff that's wrong because it's ALL wrong.
>
> I have the opposite reaction for the same reasons you cite. Also perhaps
> because it's so American; I had similar problems with The West Wing.

Now that's certainly true (about it being "so American") - hadn't thought
of that.  But I find it really really funny that the counter-terrorist
unit in LA is one of the least secure facilities on the planet.  Kinda
like Torchwood being the least secret secret organisation in the
world. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message