POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition : Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
From: Phil Cook
Date: 19 Feb 2008 04:10:27
Message: <op.t6rk1uruc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:48:12 -0000, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:42:17 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>>> The weird thing is that it's something of an anomaly for Carter's
>>> works. He managed to build a mythology that worked, even though it had
>>> some inconsistencies; it wasn't planned out at all, but it worked.  The
>>> Lone Gunmen could've been good, but he tried not planning that as well,
>>> and it just kinda flopped.
>>
>> The Lone Gunmen were never front-room people; they were always better in
>> the background.
>
> Yeah, I think that's part of the reason it failed.  Of course, his other
> program - Harsh Realm, I think it was called - total flop.

Was that one of his, I can't a preview and thought it sounded interesting
never got broadcast on terrestrial here though.

>>> Yes, that was certainly true.  But the thing that I really like about
>>> it is that it's not clear-cut on some morality issues.  The good guys
>>> don't always behave in a way that's consistent with being the good
>>> guys.  They make bad decisions sometimes.
>>
>> But then that's always been a part of BSG
>
> True enough.  But compared to the 1970's series, this one is I think a
> lot better.  I tried watching the old series, and just couldn't get into
> it (though I remember really liking it, in spite of the fact that they
> had only 3 battle "scenes").

Sorry in context that should have read as 'always been a part of the new
BSG'

> But then again, there was also Galactica 1980, here's hoping we don't see
> a remake of that again.
>
> Last night, we watched the remake of Knight Rider.  Utter crap.  There's
> 2 hours of my life I'm not getting back.

They remade Knight Rider - sacrilege ;-)

> The effects weren't bad, but
> they call *that* acting?  Shit, my cats can act better than that.  And it
> got a bit too preachy for my tastes - well, it starts off with scenes
> that looked like they could be out of Baywatch, then cut to an apparent
> lesbian scene between one of the main characters and some throwaway bimbo
> - but then we get scripture quoted at us partway through the programme.
> Oh, and marriage/divorce statistics.  Ho hum.  If I wanted a morality
> tale, I'd have gone to church instead.

But would you have got the lesbian scene at church?

>>> I like shows like that.  Spooks is another that I *really* liked.  How
>>> cool is it that they were perfectly fine killing off main characters?
>>
>> Went off it after season... 3 I think it was, just started to seem to
>> repeat itself with bigger and more ridiculous storylines; a bit like 24.
>
> Well, yeah, I did prefer the earlier seasons, but I have to admit that
> series 6 was pretty good - they were talking about doing more
> disconnected stories, but instead they went the other direction and built
> a real story arc.
>
> I have watched 24 - the thing about that one is that it's *so* farfetched
> it shorts my brain out and I can actually sit back and just watch and
> enjoy the explosions.  The tech is *so* far from the real world that it
> actually kinda works for me, because I can't sit and nitpick the stuff
> that's wrong because it's ALL wrong.

I have the opposite reaction for the same reasons you cite. Also perhaps
because it's so American; I had similar problems with The West Wing.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com