POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition : Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Feb 2008 11:23:54
Message: <47bb029a$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:09:20 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

>> Yeah, I think that's part of the reason it failed.  Of course, his
>> other program - Harsh Realm, I think it was called - total flop.
>
> Was that one of his, I can't a preview and thought it sounded
> interesting never got broadcast on terrestrial here though.

I believe it was - Yep, IMDB shows that it was created by Carter.

>> True enough.  But compared to the 1970's series, this one is I think a
>> lot better.  I tried watching the old series, and just couldn't get
>> into it (though I remember really liking it, in spite of the fact that
>> they had only 3 battle "scenes").
>
> Sorry in context that should have read as 'always been a part of the new
> BSG'

:-)

>> But then again, there was also Galactica 1980, here's hoping we don't
>> see a remake of that again.
>>
>> Last night, we watched the remake of Knight Rider.  Utter crap.
>> There's 2 hours of my life I'm not getting back.
>
> They remade Knight Rider - sacrilege ;-)

What's more "The Hoff" was part of it.  He really should have known
better. ;-)

>> The effects weren't bad, but
>> they call *that* acting?  Shit, my cats can act better than that.  And
>> it got a bit too preachy for my tastes - well, it starts off with
>> scenes that looked like they could be out of Baywatch, then cut to an
>> apparent lesbian scene between one of the main characters and some
>> throwaway bimbo - but then we get scripture quoted at us partway
>> through the programme. Oh, and marriage/divorce statistics.  Ho hum.
>> If I wanted a morality tale, I'd have gone to church instead.
>
> But would you have got the lesbian scene at church?

Not yet, but who knows, maybe that's coming in the series, if they
continue it.

>> I have watched 24 - the thing about that one is that it's *so*
>> farfetched it shorts my brain out and I can actually sit back and just
>> watch and enjoy the explosions.  The tech is *so* far from the real
>> world that it actually kinda works for me, because I can't sit and
>> nitpick the stuff that's wrong because it's ALL wrong.
>
> I have the opposite reaction for the same reasons you cite. Also perhaps
> because it's so American; I had similar problems with The West Wing.

Now that's certainly true (about it being "so American") - hadn't thought
of that.  But I find it really really funny that the counter-terrorist
unit in LA is one of the least secure facilities on the planet.  Kinda
like Torchwood being the least secret secret organisation in the
world. ;-)

Jim