POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition : Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
From: Phil Cook
Date: 19 Feb 2008 12:17:10
Message: <op.t6r7jho6c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:23:54 -0000, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:09:20 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, I think that's part of the reason it failed.  Of course, his
>>> other program - Harsh Realm, I think it was called - total flop.
>>
>> Was that one of his, I can't a preview and thought it sounded
>> interesting never got broadcast on terrestrial here though.
>
> I believe it was - Yep, IMDB shows that it was created by Carter.

Now what am I thinking of... oh yeah Dark Skies; basically an Invaders
knock-off, but of lower quality.

>>> Last night, we watched the remake of Knight Rider.  Utter crap.
>>> There's 2 hours of my life I'm not getting back.
>>> The effects weren't bad, but
>>> they call *that* acting?  Shit, my cats can act better than that.  And
>>> it got a bit too preachy for my tastes - well, it starts off with
>>> scenes that looked like they could be out of Baywatch, then cut to an
>>> apparent lesbian scene between one of the main characters and some
>>> throwaway bimbo - but then we get scripture quoted at us partway
>>> through the programme. Oh, and marriage/divorce statistics.  Ho hum.
>>> If I wanted a morality tale, I'd have gone to church instead.
>>
>> But would you have got the lesbian scene at church?
>
> Not yet, but who knows, maybe that's coming in the series, if they
> continue it.

I always thought if they threw in more sex scenes during church services
attendance would rise.

>>> I have watched 24 - the thing about that one is that it's *so*
>>> farfetched it shorts my brain out and I can actually sit back and just
>>> watch and enjoy the explosions.  The tech is *so* far from the real
>>> world that it actually kinda works for me, because I can't sit and
>>> nitpick the stuff that's wrong because it's ALL wrong.
>>
>> I have the opposite reaction for the same reasons you cite. Also perhaps
>> because it's so American; I had similar problems with The West Wing.
>
> Now that's certainly true (about it being "so American") - hadn't thought
> of that.

We've only got an hour before X happens...

Spooks: 'Set-up a survellance unit, hack into his email accounts and tap
his phones'
24: 'Go and beat him up'

I exaggerate of course, sort of :-)

> But I find it really really funny that the counter-terrorist
> unit in LA is one of the least secure facilities on the planet.  Kinda
> like Torchwood being the least secret secret organisation in the
> world. ;-)

"Bloody Torchwood" Train of thought - did you ever get Ultraviolet over
there? No not the film with Mila Whosavitch, the series staring Jack
Davenport whom you should know from Spooks.

Ah hah http://www.amazon.com/Ultraviolet-Jack-Davenport/dp/B00005KA70/
didn't recognise the cover there. It's only 6 one-hour episodes and they
never made a second series, but it's quite deep in tone.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com