POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition : Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Feb 2008 05:15:43
Message: <47bd4f4f$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> They got sued because they tried to *change* it to deliberately make
>> it incompatible.
>
> No, that wasn't my understanding. What I read during that timeframe was
> they added features to let Java invoke Windows stuff natively with much
> more ease than JNI, and the IDE generated code from the wizards to
> invoke that by default, unless you said "no, really, generate JNI
> instead." But you could take an existing Java program and compile and
> run it on MS's Java without a problem.

Well, perhaps you're right. All I know is that we started ending up with
lots of "Java" programs which only actually work with the M$ JVM. And
that rather subverts the entire point of Java - portability.

I was also told - I haven't verified this personally, but I was told -
that most of the changes weren't "better" or "worse", just "different
for the sake of being different". IOW, to subvert the standard.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/