POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Music selection (Message 91 to 100 of 241)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Music selection
Date: 6 Feb 2008 05:14:46
Message: <47a98896$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Best invention ever - I would never get a car that wasn't capable of
> playing MP3s now.  Most new cars have some option for getting MP3s in to
> it, either through the CD player, USB socket or memory card socket.  Car
> designers realise that everyone has portable music players and MP3s now...

Hmm, I must be living in a different world or something...

In the world where I live, people buy second hard cards that are about
20 years old. And even that is cripplingly expensive. When I was a kid,
my family went through old wrecks at a prodigious rate. Nobody in my
family has ever owned a "new" car. They're just too expensive.

And then, about 4 years ago, I purchased the newest car that anybody I
know has ever had. It was 3 years old. It's so new, in fact, that it has
*metalic* paint. And electric windows. And power steering. And ABS. It
even has *air bags*.

As far as music goes, most cars come with an AM radio. With mechanical
tuning buttons. (You know, "radio buttons"?) If you're lucky they have
FM as well. And if it's a really expensive car, there might be a tape
deck. My current car is unique in that it can play *CDs*. In fact, it
has a *six* disk changer in the boot. Advanced!

Sure, I know there are absurdly rich people who can afford expensive
shiny cars that have all sorts of electronic gizmos in them. But
seriously, normal people don't have that kind of money...

> Some cars even play video DVDs you know!

Ooo, so that's why so many people die on the roads? :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Best invention ever - I would never get a car that wasn't capable of
> playing MP3s now.  Most new cars have some option for getting MP3s in to
> it, either through the CD player, USB socket or memory card socket.  Car
> designers realise that everyone has portable music players and MP3s now...

My car's 17 years old. I use one of those cassette adaptors and the MP3
player in my phone. Works a treat. :)

> Some cars even play video DVDs you know!

In the back, for the kids, fine. However, I've recently been horrified
to see that front-seat players, apparently aimed at drivers, are
becoming common. What next? A button to randomly switch which direction
the steering wheel turns the car, just for a laugh?

Post a reply to this message

> As far as music goes, most cars come with an AM radio. With mechanical
> tuning buttons.

I have not seen a car with mechanical tuning buttons for ages.  Even my
sisters 12 year old Clio has a radio with electronic buttons.  My first car,
which must be 20 years old now if it was still alive, had manual tuning for

> (You know, "radio buttons"?) If you're lucky they have FM as well.

Find me a car radio that doesn't do FM.

> And if it's a really expensive car, there might be a tape deck. My current
> car is unique in that it can play *CDs*. In fact, it has a *six* disk
> changer in the boot. Advanced!

Dude, you are decades out of date.  Even my bottom-of-the-range Peugeot 206

first car which was bottom of the range 20 year old wreck 950cc had a tape
player and FM radio.

> Sure, I know there are absurdly rich people who can afford expensive shiny
> cars that have all sorts of electronic gizmos in them. But seriously,
> normal people don't have that kind of money...

The other day I was given a small Ford while mine was being serviced - even
that had a 3,5mm input socket for an MP3 player - plus an SD card slot at
the side of the radio (which had a small colour screen and CD).  These are
not expensive cars, these are cars that normal people buy.  Can you even buy
a car with a tape deck anymore?

Try glancing inside some parked cars as you are walking around, you'll be
suprised how many of them have electronic tuning with FM and CD players :-)

Post a reply to this message