POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VS Express editions? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  VS Express editions? (Message 11 to 20 of 23)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: VS Express editions?
Date: 31 Jan 2008 04:37:33
Message: <47a196dd@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> I used to like it, until I had a chance to see the professional version
> in action.  For whatever reason, the free version is crippled beyond
> belief, speed-wise.  It would literally take more than ten times as long
> to open, load projects, or compile them.

  Strange. I haven't noticed this. I have used both the express version
and the commercial one of VS 2005.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 31 Jan 2008 04:45:58
Message: <47a198d6@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Anybody played with them. I realize there are relatively few on here who
> actually like MS products, but I want to hear other peoples opinions of
> MS's free versions of their dev tools.

  I have used it and it seems ok.

  Perhaps a bit strangely at least the express version is not a
"download, install, use" package. Besides downloading and installing
the express version, you have to separately download and install the
Windows Platform SDK and manually configure VS to use it (there doesn't
seem to be any way to make it automatically detect that you have the SDK
installed and to use it properly). If you do anything that needs DirectX,
you need to download and install the DirectX SDK and manually configure
VS to use it (again, it doesn't seem to detect this automatically). All
this can be a real pain, especially since it doesn't seem to be documented
anywhere. Without precise instructions on how to do this, it can be next
to impossible to figure it out.
  (I have only experience with VS 2005 Express. I don't know if they
have improved this with VS 2008.)

  Once you have succeeded in installing and configuring everything,
it seem to work ok, though.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   Perhaps a bit strangely at least the express version is not a
> "download, install, use" package. Besides downloading and installing
> the express version, you have to separately download and install the
> Windows Platform SDK and manually configure VS to use it (there doesn't
> seem to be any way to make it automatically detect that you have the SDK
> installed and to use it properly). If you do anything that needs DirectX,
> you need to download and install the DirectX SDK and manually configure
> VS to use it (again, it doesn't seem to detect this automatically). All
> this can be a real pain, especially since it doesn't seem to be documented
> anywhere. Without precise instructions on how to do this, it can be next
> to impossible to figure it out.

I found this a little odd also. And a little frustrating, because my
experience with dev tools like this is *very* limited (i.e., this and
XCode), so I wasn't even sure if I was doing the right thing. In light
of Nicolas' post, this process took me rather longer than one hour, and
I hadn't even managed to compile anything yet. But, as you say, once
it's working, seems to be OK.

Post a reply to this message