POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VS Express editions? : Re: VS Express editions? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VS Express editions?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 4 Feb 2008 08:53:49
Message: <47a718ed$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>> I used to like it, until I had a chance to see the professional version
>> in action.  For whatever reason, the free version is crippled beyond
>> belief, speed-wise.  It would literally take more than ten times as long
>> to open, load projects, or compile them.
>
>   Strange. I haven't noticed this. I have used both the express version
> and the commercial one of VS 2005.

I haven't noticed any speed reductions, either. The one thing I do
really miss, though is the lack of support for Visual Assist, which is
a plug-in that enhances some of the IDE's built-in features. Mainly
because it's member list can be filtered by properties, methods, etc...
and allows searches based on partial words (i.e. I can type Event, and
I'll see MouseEventArgs, EventArgs, PaintEventArgs, etc...)

lack of source control is another biggie. C++ lacking MFC is also a
drawback, given a lot of the C++ development we do uses MFC.