POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VS Express editions? : Re: VS Express editions? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VS Express editions?
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 31 Jan 2008 06:04:53
Message: <47a1ab55$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Perhaps a bit strangely at least the express version is not a
> "download, install, use" package. Besides downloading and installing
> the express version, you have to separately download and install the
> Windows Platform SDK and manually configure VS to use it (there doesn't
> seem to be any way to make it automatically detect that you have the SDK
> installed and to use it properly). If you do anything that needs DirectX,
> you need to download and install the DirectX SDK and manually configure
> VS to use it (again, it doesn't seem to detect this automatically). All
> this can be a real pain, especially since it doesn't seem to be documented
> anywhere. Without precise instructions on how to do this, it can be next
> to impossible to figure it out.

I found this a little odd also. And a little frustrating, because my
experience with dev tools like this is *very* limited (i.e., this and
XCode), so I wasn't even sure if I was doing the right thing. In light
of Nicolas' post, this process took me rather longer than one hour, and
I hadn't even managed to compile anything yet. But, as you say, once
it's working, seems to be OK.