POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VS Express editions? : Re: VS Express editions? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VS Express editions?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 4 Feb 2008 08:46:43
Message: <47a71743$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> I once tried it. Couldn't do anything useful with it during a whole
> hour. I uninstalled it. Of course, despite recommendations made by
> Microsoft itself to other developers, the uninstaller didn't remove
> everything that was installed. I was months with lots of filetypes (like
> .c) still associated to VS express.

Hmm, VC++ express is somewhat limited, You can do useful things with it,
but you have to be prepared to program to straight Win32, which, to say
the least is painful. MFC helps in this regards. Though, you can use
Managed C++, which has the .NET framework available. I admit, I haven't
really done anything in Managed C++, preferring to use C# for .net
development.

> I use gvim and a bash shell (yes, in Windows) for all my development
> needs. Except for POV-Ray, where I use the internal editor, and for
> Java, where I use Eclipse. MinGW as C compiler.

I used to have a suite of POSIX tools for Windows. Eclipse was a nice
editor, but I never really got into Java development. (Which may seem
strange, seeing as I really like C#, now.)