POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell goodies Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Haskell goodies (Message 31 to 40 of 102)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Haskell goodies
Date: 30 Jan 2008 12:05:20
Message: <47A0AE5E.3080809@hotmail.com>
Invisible wrote:
>>> Oh, I see. So you think that I should know about every "important"
>>> person in history?
>>
>> No, it's just that if you choose to enter a discussion on something
>> without doing any research (or being completely ignorant to the
>> subject being discussed), you should expect to get flamed.
>
> Hmm, let's see now. I commented that normal programmers worry about
> practical matters while this Haskell programmer is debating abstract set
> theory. And somebody said "ah, so you know who Russell is then?", and I
> just pointed out that I don't. And now I'm being yelled at. Again.

Yip, because you didn't do your homework. Again.
No actually I think you have no idea what astonishment you create when
you admit you have never heard of Russell or his profound impact on
mathematics and logic. I think 90% or more of the people in this group
at least have heard of him and 99% or more of those who are only
moderately interested in logic showing by reading this haskell thread.
What makes it even more unbelievable is that you are an Englishman (or
so you claim). The English tend to be rather proud of their own history
(yes, he was English).
Anyway add him to your list of who to know on your next job interview.
> Who Russell is and what the paradox is about is rather orthoganol to the
> point I was actually trying to make...

Yes, but this is off-topic, we are allowed to drift here.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jan 2008 12:20:40
Message: <47a0b1e8$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Who Russell is and what the paradox is about is rather orthoganol to the
> point I was actually trying to make...

OK, the point *I* was making is that people still remember who Russell
is and what he did 100 years ago, while "normal programmers" half the
time don't even get their names displayed in the credits of their own
creations. Just FYI, Russell did for set theory (i.e., the basis of most
or all modern math) what Godel and Turing did for their fields.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jan 2008 12:22:16
Message: <47a0b248$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I'll admit I have often wondered why all the best stuff was invented by
> people who weren't British.

<snarky> How would you know? You don't know who they are! </snarky>

(Sorry. Couldn't resist that one. I'm bad, yes.)

From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jan 2008 12:23:54
Message: <47a0b2aa$1@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:

>> BTW, it sounds like "BEH zee ay", according to wikipedia:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_B%C3%A9zier
>>
>> no final R sound?
>>

> Nope, in French the letters "er" at the end of words are generally

So why are the first two sounds different?

(And I'm reminded of Warp's observation that throwing in extra vowels
and H's and Y's doesn't really help if you don't already natively speak
English. :-)

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 30 Jan 2008 13:16:29
Message: <47a0befd$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> OK, the point *I* was making is that people still remember who Russell
> is and what he did 100 years ago, while "normal programmers" half the
> time don't even get their names displayed in the credits of their own
> creations.

Mmm, OK.

> Just FYI, Russell did for set theory (i.e., the basis of most
> or all modern math) what Godel and Turing did for their fields.

*resists urge to ask who Godel is*

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 30 Jan 2008 13:19:22
Message: <47a0bfaa$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

> No actually I think you have no idea what astonishment you create when
> you admit you have never heard of Russell or his profound impact on
> mathematics and logic.

Right. Well the history of... well anything really... isn't my strong point.

FWIW, I saw some pretty astonished faces when I admitted that I
mistakenly thought that Brazil is in Europe. (I now realise quite how
wrong I in fact was...)

> What makes it even more unbelievable is that you are an Englishman (or
> so you claim). The English tend to be rather proud of their own history
> (yes, he was English).

What can I say? I'm not very patriotic. (I know we suck at a number of
popular sports, despite the fact that we personally invented them...)

>> Who Russell is and what the paradox is about is rather orthoganol to
>> the point I was actually trying to make...
>>
> Yes, but this is off-topic, we are allowed to drift here.

OK, you win. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 30 Jan 2008 13:20:44
Message: <47a0bffc$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> I'll admit I have often wondered why all the best stuff was invented
>> by people who weren't British.
>
> <snarky> How would you know? You don't know who they are! </snarky>
>
> (Sorry. Couldn't resist that one. I'm bad, yes.)

L'Hospital sounds like a typical English name to me... :-}

(But then, in an Ask the Audience round one time, 4% of the people
thought that "Ludwig van Bathoven" was English. Hell, even *I* can
figure that out out...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 30 Jan 2008 13:23:16
Message: <47a0c094$1@news.povray.org>

> FWIW, I saw some pretty astonished faces when I admitted that I
> mistakenly thought that Brazil is in Europe. (I now realise quite how
> wrong I in fact was...)

o_O

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 30 Jan 2008 13:45:39
Message: <47a0c5d3@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

>> FWIW, I saw some pretty astonished faces when I admitted that I
>> mistakenly thought that Brazil is in Europe. (I now realise quite how
>> wrong I in fact was...)
>
> o_O

yes, everyone knows Brazil is a province in Buenos Aires... :P

hey, Orchid, do you care for anything other than math and algorythms?
Do you know how the real world works?  How about getting started on it
rather than being flamed to death as someone stupid?  We know you're a
bright guy, you just need to expand your horizons a bit...

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 30 Jan 2008 13:46:59
Message: <47a0c623@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Just FYI, Russell did for set theory (i.e., the basis of most or all
>> modern math) what Godel and Turing did for their fields.
>
> *resists urge to ask who Godel is*

good thing your curiosity was not complete. ;)

well, at least you seem aware of Turing.  or at least his machine...