POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell goodies : Re: Haskell goodies Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell goodies
From: andrel
Date: 30 Jan 2008 12:05:20
Message: <47A0AE5E.3080809@hotmail.com>
Invisible wrote:
>>> Oh, I see. So you think that I should know about every "important"
>>> person in history?
>>
>> No, it's just that if you choose to enter a discussion on something
>> without doing any research (or being completely ignorant to the
>> subject being discussed), you should expect to get flamed.
>
> Hmm, let's see now. I commented that normal programmers worry about
> practical matters while this Haskell programmer is debating abstract set
> theory. And somebody said "ah, so you know who Russell is then?", and I
> just pointed out that I don't. And now I'm being yelled at. Again.

Yip, because you didn't do your homework. Again.
No actually I think you have no idea what astonishment you create when
you admit you have never heard of Russell or his profound impact on
mathematics and logic. I think 90% or more of the people in this group
at least have heard of him and 99% or more of those who are only
moderately interested in logic showing by reading this haskell thread.
What makes it even more unbelievable is that you are an Englishman (or
so you claim). The English tend to be rather proud of their own history
(yes, he was English).
Anyway add him to your list of who to know on your next job interview.
> Who Russell is and what the paradox is about is rather orthoganol to the
> point I was actually trying to make...

Yes, but this is off-topic, we are allowed to drift here.