POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ice storms Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Ice storms (Message 29 to 38 of 38)
From: Leroy
Subject: Re: Ice storms
Date: 13 Dec 2007 11:48:23
Message: <476161FC.4010200@joplin.com>
Phil Cook wrote:
> I'm glad you're all alright.

  Thanks! Hope we stay that way we're expecting SNOW Friday and Saturday.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2007 11:58:20
Message: <476164ac@news.povray.org>
Leroy nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/12 23:48:
> If you haven't heard. Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri and even a little of
> Arkansas got hit with a big ice storm. I just got my power back on after
> two days. I live in Missouri in the middle of the woods. You should have
> seen and heard all those trees limbs breaking. It was amazing!
>  While surveying the fallen limbs around my house I thought that I heard
> someone coming down my drive way.(It's a quarter of a mile long) But no!
> It was trees.
>  Luckly we had only a few limbs hit the house. The chicken coop
> servived. None of the cars got damage. And we already had a electric
> genertor, just had to plug it in.

Make me think of the ice storm we had several years back. Montreal, and much of
Quebec, was blacked out for a week, we almost ran out of water, the army was
called in to shot off the ice clinging to the buildings, and most of downtown
was offlimit to everyone. Sheets of ice up to 5"+ thick, and over 10' whide
faling from 10 to 40 stories over you, it's a very scary tought.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you have ever brought your

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2007 12:01:42
Message: <47616576$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/13 07:00:
> scott wrote:
>
>> Just pour hot water over the ice until it's all melted, then use the
>> wipers to clear the excess liquid.  That will keep the glass warm and
>> dry enough until you get things warmed up.  All cars are designed to
>> survive thermal shock like this, if your windscreen cracks then it
>> would have cracked anyway due to the next stone that hit it or
>> whatever...
>
> Sorry, the school car park doesn't have any hot water. ;-)
>
> Actually, last night while I was laying in bed, failing to be asleep, I
> wondered about something. Every time we have frost, government vehicles
> drive out and dump many billions of tonnes of salt onto the roads.
>
> 1. What the hell does that do to the cars?
It make them rust away.

> 2. Where does all this salt *go* to? Is this a problem?
In the ground and the reivers. If you have clay rich ground, it's not a problem
as the salt make that clay harder, less prone to change into mud. It can be a
problem for the vegetation, killing it.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you've tried rendering hair with

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2007 12:11:52
Message: <476167d8$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/13 09:31:
> "Invisible" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message

> Nah. If the car had been parked in the open they may have refused my claim
> (cause the car's supposed to be kept under cover), but last time I checked,
> highways didn't have roofs

Since when is it mandatory to park your car under cover? In most of the world
it's just about impossible to park your car under any form of solid cover like
in a garage. When I lived in the suburbs, there were not a single garage in the
neibourhood, nor in the reibouring ones. In the city, over 95% of the car owners
can only park ther cars on the streets.

--
Alain
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2007 12:16:54
Message: <47616906@news.povray.org>
Dan Byers nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/13 10:20:
> All that fun stuff went just south of us (Omaha).  We got a nice quarter-inch
> glazing and about 4 inches of snow on top of it.  No fun to drive in, but I got
> the day off, so it had some benefits :)  Supposed to be mid-30s here today, so
> some of it should melt (then refreeze overnight... stupid winter!)...
>
> Dan
The snow will melt, stop on the underlying ice, then freeze into a thicker ice
layer. Nice ;-p
I prefer 4" of snow, followed by 1/4" of ice. Walk on that and you break the ice.

--
Alain
Backup not found. [A]bort, [R]etry, [P]anic...

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 13 Dec 2007 12:33:45
Message: <47616cf9@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message

> Since when is it mandatory to park your car under cover?

It's not, but my premium is based on my car been stored behind a locked gate
and under cover.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 14 Dec 2007 05:53:49
Message: <476260bd$1@news.povray.org>
>> 1. What the hell does that do to the cars?
> It make them rust away.

It also corrodes the aluminium components, which nowadays make up for more
and more of the car.  However, for both steel and aluminium components the
anti-corrosion coatings have become better, so in general cars don't corrode
as much now as they did in the past. Still, doesn't hurt to wash your car
regularly (especially in one of those that washes the underneath with jets).

>> 2. Where does all this salt *go* to? Is this a problem?
> In the ground and the reivers. If you have clay rich ground, it's not a
> problem as the salt make that clay harder, less prone to change into mud.
> It can be a problem for the vegetation, killing it.

IIRC here in Germany they only use salt on the autobahns (the other roads
just get grit) exactly for that reason.  There again, we all have winter
tyres so it doesn't matter as much if there is a bit of snow on the roads.
Ice on the other hand...

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 14 Dec 2007 13:14:30
Message: <4762c806@news.povray.org>
scott nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/14 05:53:
>>> 1. What the hell does that do to the cars?
>> It make them rust away.
>
> It also corrodes the aluminium components, which nowadays make up for
> more and more of the car.  However, for both steel and aluminium
> components the anti-corrosion coatings have become better, so in general
> cars don't corrode as much now as they did in the past. Still, doesn't
> hurt to wash your car regularly (especially in one of those that washes
> the underneath with jets).
>
>>> 2. Where does all this salt *go* to? Is this a problem?
>> In the ground and the reivers. If you have clay rich ground, it's not
>> a problem as the salt make that clay harder, less prone to change into
>> mud. It can be a problem for the vegetation, killing it.
>
> IIRC here in Germany they only use salt on the autobahns (the other
> roads just get grit) exactly for that reason.  There again, we all have
> winter tyres so it doesn't matter as much if there is a bit of snow on
> the roads. Ice on the other hand...

4 seasons tires should not have been invented. And now that they exist, they
should be banned.
I live in Quebec, and most of the ground is clay, so salt make our ground more
stable. We also have varieties of grass that are more resistant to salt
contamination. Even if we use TONS of salt each winters, there is only little
apparent effect on most of the vegetation. At times, the streets are a sparkling
white from all that salt dust... and with the wind picking that dust...

--
Alain
'First things first -- but not necessarily in that order' -- Dr Who

Post a reply to this message

From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 14 Dec 2007 22:43:59
Message: <47634d7f@news.povray.org>
Wow, from what I hear, it got hit pretty hard out there.  I have a
nephew in Tulsa who is supposed to be emailing me & his mom some ice
storm pix--I guess they got it pretty bad, too.  The nasty weather
always seems to chop off right around I-44...I'm just a bit north of
I-44, so I must have just got lucky this time.  Just as well--my yard is
still full of trees, limbs, etc. from the January ice storm...

I don't think I'll ever forget that sound of trees shattering, out there
in the dark...it's what I imagine an artillery barrage must sound like.

Hey, stay warm!

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy
Date: 14 Dec 2007 23:45:15
Message: <47635B7E.703@joplin.com>
Hay Sherry I need to thank you!
  I got to wandering just where Buffalo Mo was. So I googol it, had to
zoom all the way out on the map to find that it's north of Springfield.
That's when I found out that there's a Cuba Mo. :) I never knew!

  We got some video of the storm damage when the ice was still on. We
should have got some today before the snow comes. But, we had other
things to do like checking up on freinds and family. Everyone's ok!
Only a few are still without electric.

  Ya stay warm too!