POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ice storms : Re: Ice storms Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ice storms
From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2007 12:01:42
Message: <47616576$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/13 07:00:
> scott wrote:
>
>> Just pour hot water over the ice until it's all melted, then use the
>> wipers to clear the excess liquid.  That will keep the glass warm and
>> dry enough until you get things warmed up.  All cars are designed to
>> survive thermal shock like this, if your windscreen cracks then it
>> would have cracked anyway due to the next stone that hit it or
>> whatever...
>
> Sorry, the school car park doesn't have any hot water. ;-)
>
> Actually, last night while I was laying in bed, failing to be asleep, I
> wondered about something. Every time we have frost, government vehicles
> drive out and dump many billions of tonnes of salt onto the roads.
>
> 1. What the hell does that do to the cars?
It make them rust away.

> 2. Where does all this salt *go* to? Is this a problem?
In the ground and the reivers. If you have clay rich ground, it's not a problem
as the salt make that clay harder, less prone to change into mud. It can be a
problem for the vegetation, killing it.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you've tried rendering hair with