POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ice storms : Re: Ice storms Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ice storms
From: Alain
Date: 14 Dec 2007 13:14:30
Message: <4762c806@news.povray.org>
scott nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/14 05:53:
>>> 1. What the hell does that do to the cars?
>> It make them rust away.
>
> It also corrodes the aluminium components, which nowadays make up for
> more and more of the car.  However, for both steel and aluminium
> components the anti-corrosion coatings have become better, so in general
> cars don't corrode as much now as they did in the past. Still, doesn't
> hurt to wash your car regularly (especially in one of those that washes
> the underneath with jets).
>
>>> 2. Where does all this salt *go* to? Is this a problem?
>> In the ground and the reivers. If you have clay rich ground, it's not
>> a problem as the salt make that clay harder, less prone to change into
>> mud. It can be a problem for the vegetation, killing it.
>
> IIRC here in Germany they only use salt on the autobahns (the other
> roads just get grit) exactly for that reason.  There again, we all have
> winter tyres so it doesn't matter as much if there is a bit of snow on
> the roads. Ice on the other hand...

4 seasons tires should not have been invented. And now that they exist, they
should be banned.
I live in Quebec, and most of the ground is clay, so salt make our ground more
stable. We also have varieties of grass that are more resistant to salt
contamination. Even if we use TONS of salt each winters, there is only little
apparent effect on most of the vegetation. At times, the streets are a sparkling
white from all that salt dust... and with the wind picking that dust...

--
Alain
'First things first -- but not necessarily in that order' -- Dr Who