POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now here's a good waste of time Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:50 EDT (-0400)
  Now here's a good waste of time (Message 31 to 40 of 64)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Now here's a good waste of time
Date: 13 Dec 2007 03:55:05
Message: <4qs1m35ljgdh01i1f8v41270pt4u8moutl@4ax.com>
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:30:07 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>stbenge wrote:
>> Poll: What do you like more?
>> a) hard science fiction
>> b) fantastical sci-fi
>> c) space operas
>
>I prefer hard science fiction. However, given that, I don't consider it
>to be science fiction unless it's actually about the technology and how
>people react to it. If you could take the story about war between worlds
>with blasters, and set it down as war between countries with revolvers,
>it isn't science fiction. On the other hand, if it's about how
>technology affects people, even old technology then I'd call it science
>fiction.

I agree with this bit too.

>Stories of how medieval peasants deal with the first knights in
>armor would be SF in my book.

Sorry, for me this is historical fiction. It did happen, you know. :)

I like a) hard SF best followed by b) fantastical SF and only if there is
nothing else to read c) space operas (Cowboys with space guns, I call them)

Sam's mom recommends Grass by Sheri S. Tepper I would recommend "The Gate to
Women's Country" by her. (Not a boys-ie book IMO)

There is some interesting work by women writers hiding amongst the stories of
"Feisty Girlies with Balls". Has anyone read Elizabeth Moon's "Remnant
Population" or "The Speed of Dark"? Or "Drinking Sapphire Wine" by Tanith Lee"?

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message