POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now here's a good waste of time : Re: Now here's a good waste of time Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now here's a good waste of time
From: Stephen
Date: 13 Dec 2007 06:50:36
Message: <f372m3t09pik9npg3b59tv7iun2nftfjnc@4ax.com>
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:59:26 +0000, Bill Pragnell <bil### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:30:07 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>> Stories of how medieval peasants deal with the first knights in
>>> armor would be SF in my book.
>>
>> Sorry, for me this is historical fiction. It did happen, you know. :)
>
>Try Pasquale's Angel, by Paul J McAuley. How Florence might have turned
>out if da Vinci had leaned more towards engineering than art.
>Contemporary celebrities are some of the main characters. A very good read!

I've never been able to enjoy alternative history novels, I don't know why. I
read some of McAuley's earlier work but found it too dark for my liking. I might
give him another try if I can find anything in the library.

>> I like a) hard SF best followed by b) fantastical SF and only if there is
>> nothing else to read c) space operas (Cowboys with space guns, I call them)
>
>Hmm, sounds like everyone else has a different definition of space opera
>to me.

Naturally :)

>I always thought that galaxy-spanning adventure and action were
>the main staples, which clearly can include hard sf as well as fantasies
>like Star Wars or Lensman. I'd put Iain M Banks' Culture novels into
>both categories without even thinking about it.

So do I but a lot of the plots are so derivative. It always brings to mind
Battle Beyond the Stars which was a remake of the magnificent seven which was a
remake of the seven samurai.
Have you tried Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space series. IMO that is both
hard and a space opera.

Regards
	Stephen