POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now here's a good waste of time : Re: Now here's a good waste of time Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now here's a good waste of time
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 13 Dec 2007 05:49:21
Message: <47610e31$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> Dan Byers wrote:
>>> Poll: What do you like more?
>>> a) hard science fiction
>>> b) fantastical sci-fi
>>> c) space operas
>>
>> What would your definition of b) be (no pun intended)?  What's a good
>> example of
>> this??
>
> Grass, Sheri S. Tepper
> http://www.amazon.com/Grass-Sheri-S-Tepper/dp/0553285653
>
> My mom suggested this book to me, but I just couldn't get into it. It
> was too frickin' boring.
>
> Also, the Pern (one letter off from porn) series by Anne McCaffrey. I
> read one book of it, and had a hard time finishing it. Fantasy sci-fi
> just isn't that interesting, IMO.

Hmm, I wouldn't describe the Pern stories as fantasy, unless you ignore
all the prologues and some of the later (and lesser) books. But they
certainly appear superficially fantastical (the word 'dragon' mainly...
:)). Just goes to show that there's a finer line than people might think
between these three categories.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the one you tried, I remember the first one I
read was a little hard going simply because of all the new words and
strange names she'd thought up. They get much easier. Which one did you
read first? It should have been Dragonflight, or you wouldn't have
understood a thing! :)