POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now here's a good waste of time : Re: Now here's a good waste of time Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now here's a good waste of time
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Dec 2007 10:47:20
Message: <47615408$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> How about things like Orwell's 1984 then? That extrapolates many
> possible paths from its time, but doesn't really dwell on technology. Or
> would you put this into 'speculative fiction' but separate from sf?

Good question. I'd call it more speculative, because it's mostly about
people affecting people, rather than technology. If it was about how
people were monitored, and about how people found ways around the
monitoring, for example, it would be more science fiction, I think.

I recently read a book called "The Wittling" (or some such spelling),
wherein the humans get stranded on a planet with natives who have the
natural ability to teleport. They are at medieval technology levels, but
it's still SF, as it's how the humans cope with people who can teleport
you or themselves.

> Niven must be my favourite author, I think.

I gain a new appreciation every time I go back and read his stuff again.
The way those two hold together an entire universe of
reasonably-interacting but very different peoples over the course of a
dozen books is pretty amazing.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it