POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now here's a good waste of time : Re: Now here's a good waste of time Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now here's a good waste of time
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 13 Dec 2007 05:56:52
Message: <47610ff4@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:30:07 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>> Stories of how medieval peasants deal with the first knights in
>> armor would be SF in my book.
>
> Sorry, for me this is historical fiction. It did happen, you know. :)

Try Pasquale's Angel, by Paul J McAuley. How Florence might have turned
out if da Vinci had leaned more towards engineering than art.
Contemporary celebrities are some of the main characters. A very good read!

> I like a) hard SF best followed by b) fantastical SF and only if there is
> nothing else to read c) space operas (Cowboys with space guns, I call them)

Hmm, sounds like everyone else has a different definition of space opera
to me. I always thought that galaxy-spanning adventure and action were
the main staples, which clearly can include hard sf as well as fantasies
like Star Wars or Lensman. I'd put Iain M Banks' Culture novels into
both categories without even thinking about it.