POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now here's a good waste of time : Re: Now here's a good waste of time Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now here's a good waste of time
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 13 Dec 2007 06:01:04
Message: <476110f0$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>> I don't consider it
>>> to be science fiction unless it's actually about the technology and how
>>> people react to it. If you could take the story about war between worlds
>>> with blasters, and set it down as war between countries with revolvers,
>>> it isn't science fiction. On the other hand, if it's about how
>>> technology affects people, even old technology then I'd call it science
>>> fiction. Stories of how medieval peasants deal with the first knights in
>>> armor would be SF in my book.

How about things like Orwell's 1984 then? That extrapolates many
possible paths from its time, but doesn't really dwell on technology. Or
would you put this into 'speculative fiction' but separate from sf?

> I also like a series where a world is created, populated with a range of
> people (or species), and presented. Larry Niven and Terry Pratchett both
> do these very well.

Niven must be my favourite author, I think. He's not as good with human
characters as other authors, but he's a genius at aliens, concepts and
stories.

> (Heh. Nerdware. Apparently Firefox's spelling dictionary recognises both
> those names. :-)

And so it should :)